Thursday, May 31, 2007

the Visitation

Today is the day the church remembers the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth, remembering Elizabeth's salutation, "Who am I, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" and Mary's beautiful song in response: the Magnificat. (You can read it all in the first chapter of Luke, here.)

I love this story. I love the joy that flows from the women's realization of what God is doing in their midst and from their love for one another. I love Mary's powerful words of praise, her recognition of God's faithfulness to his people. I love that there's a story in the Bible about two pregnant women. I love how John, still in utero, responds to the Lord's presence (the Lord, also in utero. Can you even begin to fathom it?). I just love this story.

Happy day of the Visitation, folks! God was with Mary and Elizabeth on that day. May God be with you, also.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: