Tuesday, May 1, 2007

things to do with toddlers

One of my favorite things to do with my kids is to stick the dishpans in the sink, fill 'em up, break out the plastic cups and let the kids go to town with waterplay. They will stay at the sink, getting soaking wet, for about an hour. Which is a LONG time for a one and two year old.

Usually, of course, this means an extra change of clothes during the day. But I just discovered that if I let them do their water play right after breakfast, while they're still in their pajamas, I don't have an extra change to do - just the one we'd do anyway in the morning. Yay!


Other fun things Bess and Gamgee think make up a great day are:
-playing with homemade playdough. Usually in concert with playing with their plastic zoo animals. The playdough becomes food and water and who knows what else.
-playing outside. Again, this preferably involves water.
-climbing things. This involves my heartrate going up.
-playing with homemade magic mud. Recipe: cornstarch & water. Suggestion: do not leave the box of cornstarch within reach of the children. Ever seen that Courderoy book where the box of soap suds tips over? Well, that's what it looks like if you leave the cornstarch box within reach.
-reading books. Mostly to Bess. Gamgee thinks books are for throwing.
-pulling everything out of the pantry.


Most of these things, I'm realizing, involve lots of mess. Anyone have some good toddler games that don't involve mess. (snicker) No, really. :D

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

p.s. This just occurred to me: does "courderoy" mean "heart of the king"? And if so, who thought that fabric should be called something so fancy?

1 comment:

Veriance said...

Love the playing at the sink idea.

My dd enjoys taking a paintbrush outside and "painting" with water on the concrete. Perfect time for me to garden.