Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WFMW: iced tea

Summer's on the way (almost past soup weather now), and a cold drink sounds good most afternoons. But soda's not healthy and not that cheap either. Iced tea on the other hand? Healthy, cheap (even the good stuff, compared to soda in the can), and delicious.

Here's what works for me: I make a big pitcher of tea one day, and then, once it's cool, pour it into two Nalgene bottles (one for me, and one for my husband to take to work) and stick 'em in the fridge. That way, when I'm ready for a cool drink the next afternoon, I just open the fridge, and there it is: 32 oz. of cold wonderfulness.

I find that if you let the tea brew a bit long, you can make pretty decent iced tea with two tea bags to 64 oz. of water. I like it without sweeteners, but my husband usually puts a bit of honey in his.

And I usually end up sharing it with the kids, cause they're so cute when they beg. ;)


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

4 comments:

PastormacsAnn said...

Now I'm thirsty. Think I'll make some tea tomorrow morning and leave it in the frig. for later.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

My husband loves iced tea, but he loves sweet tea, so I need to figure out to make true sweet tea for him. I love the idea of putting it in bottles!!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Our lives just can't exists without iced tea. I have an ice tea maker, but sometimes I just have to sun brew a jar of tea, for memory sake.

BTW: Nice to meet another MK! I grew up in India.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Mmmm. The past week or so I've been brewing tea in the sun on our back patio. I discovered that green tea, water, and a sliced lemon brews a really amazing drink. Gabe and I both enjoy it. You can let it sit in the sun for about four to six hours, but do take the lemons out after that time, because otherwise they'll start making it taste bitter.