Monday, May 14, 2007

in the garden

Here's a photo blog for you folks, of recent developments in the garden.

Photo courtesy of my husband. These are the zinnias growing in our wading pool garden.

Earthmovers'R'Us. Like our new watermelon hills? I'm hoping they work!

When my morning glories died (they can be perinneal here), I was heart-broken. But I got over it, and planted nasturtiums in their place. But among the circular nasturtium leaves I kept spotting other leaves that were suspiciously heart-shaped. And this morning, I discovered the joyous truth: my morning glories had reseeded themselves. (This picture does an awful job of conveying the blue-purple glory of this flower, sorry.)

Bringing the outdoors in, all the way to my kitchen table: I never knew that I loved flowers, and I think it was because cut flowers are so expensive, I couldn't let myself love them. But growing them yourself makes it much more reasonable, and now I'm finding out exactly what everyone's been talking about all these years. Flowers really are pretty. Like: really, really pretty. :D

Ever wonder what "cornflower blue" looks like?

Since taking this picture this morning, I've gone out and tied the leaves up around these cauliflower curds. But they're actually producing! (On a side note, does anyone know if cauliflower leaves are edible? Because they sure have a lot of them.)

I love this rose bush. It was one of the first plants my husband and I bought together, and we bought it for the lovely deep red color. It is constantly afflicted by wilt, but that never seems to keep it from just spilling over with jewel-like blooms every spring. Isn't it gorgeous?

Happy Monday, folks!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: