Monday, June 4, 2007

a surprise of pomegranates


It's surprising what comes up when you water your lawn.

I've got two kids, but I still haven't been an adult all that long, and there's a lot I'm still learning. Especially about responsibility. Especially, especially about responsibilities I don't like.

For instance: it is my responsibility to water my lawn. Well, my landlord's lawn; we're renters. Now, the more I learn about SoCal, the more convinced I am that most front lawns (which are seen but not played on) are a waste of water. If it was my house, I'd pull up all the grass and plant a big, sunny-happy herb garden. I'd keep the back lawn, 'cause the kids like it. But the front? Again: it's a waste of good water.

But it's still my responsibility to water it. It's not my house, so it's not my choice. And I have been terrible about watering it. But I've been working on doing so regularly for the last month or so, and it's turning respectably green.

The sprinkler doesn't just water the lawn though, it waters the front flower beds (which were inhabited by a glorious sago palm, but not much else), and they've started sprouting all kinds of interesting vegetation, sprung from who knows where.
I am amazed at how long some plants can stay dormant, but still lively enough to spring up once the water returns.

And one thing springing up were a couple of busy-looking maybe-trees with orange flowers. Kinda pretty, and I'd contemplated bring the flowers inside to occupy a vase or two. But yesterday my dad came over, and with his visit, all my desire to gather the pretty orange flowers fled.

"Those? Those are pomegranates," he said, "See? You've got fruit forming already."

Pomegranates! It my yard! Ya-HUM. Yum.

It's amazing what comes up when you water.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

3 comments:

Unknown said...

surely there's some vital spiritual lesson in this?

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

How exciting! Awesome, nature study!
Thanks for visiting TonsofSons!

Amber said...

How neat!! I have a friend who gets pomogranates on her bushes in the front of her house, but they don't bother to pick them. The birds appreciate it though!

And I'm with you on the lawn thing - I'm willing to have a small amount in the back for the kids to play on but that's all the space, & care I'm willing to give that water guzzling stuff. That's something that drives me nuts about the country - people go out and buy 5 acres or so and then plant a 2+ acres of grass... and then they have to pull up all that water from their well just to water it! I think it shows a lack of imagination, personally. I also think they plant it just so that they have an excuse to own a riding mower. :-)