Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ordinary Time

I’m still enamoured with the idea of blogging through the church year, but only a few weeks into the long, green season of Ordinary Time, and I’m wondering what exactly to blog about.

But I’ve discovered the answer, I think: ordinary holiness.

So, for the long green season, barring the occasional high holy days that crop up (All Saints and All Souls, anyone?), I’m going to be blogging more about the homemaking part of homemaking through the church year. Stuff about housework, gardening, and especially parenting, both the practical stuff and the abstract stuff. For me, homemaking encompasses both the physical care of my family and house, and the spiritual, relational work there is to be done in a family and home. Ordinary Time (which means “counted” or “ordinal” time, not “normal” time) is, I think, a good time to work on ordinary life, on the day-to-day duties, honing our ability to live in a way that is pleasing to the Lord.

So that’s what I expect this blog to be about during these next few (hot, hot, hot, swelteringly hot) summer months. Ordinary holiness for Ordinary Time. And if you can keep the different uses of the word “ordinary” straight, you’re more on top of it than I am. ☺

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I think that's a great idea! I find that when I struggle most in my faith is just on the average day with its little frustrations. Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on this!