Friday, March 30, 2007

Frugal Friday: free flowers

My front flower bed has about six lovely calla lily plants growing in it. And I didn't pay a dime for them. What's my secret? Dividing perennials.

My weird, boggy side yard looked like just a weedy jungle when we moved into this house. Nobody goes back there, and so it took me some months to realize that some of the weedy-looking things were actually valuable plants. Among them: roses, irises and calla lilies. The true nature of these plants dawned on me when they started blooming in the spring.

The problem? Like I said, no one sees my side yard. It's just a small, awkward walk-through on the side of the house, with barely any windows looking out on it. In other words, those gorgeous flowers were going completely unappreciated. So, I moved them.

Using methods similar to those described here, I dug up around the calla lilies, and found that they had indeed spread their bulbs (rhizomes?) underground. I dug up the likeliest looking ones (while leaving the mother plant where it was) and planted them in my front flower beds.

Now the plant that no one appreciated is being seen and enjoyed every time we go through our front door. Dividing perennials = free, frugal beauty.


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: