Tuesday, March 27, 2007

WFMW: outside flip-flops

Okay, this is one of those "oh-I'm-sure-everyone-already-knows-this" tips, but it really works for me!

Living in SoCal (and being married to my Indonesia guy, from whom I really picked up the habit), I go barefoot around the house most of the time (take that, Flylady!). That means that if I go outside and water the plants, I get my feet all goopy.

My solution? A pair of old flip-flops right outside my front door. I slip into them as I walk out, tromp all through the garden, and then slip out of them when I'm ready to go back inside. Those shoes never see the inside of the house, and my feet never see the mucky soil of the garden. Those flip-flops just stay outside in all their glorious muddiness. And by the time I'm ready to go outside again, the mud on the soles has dried, and can be easily sloughed off.

Keeping my bare feet nice and clean? Works for me!


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

p.s. I don't hate Flylady. I love how her ideas about timers. But the shoe thing? Ha!

12 comments:

Nikki said...

My mom does this too! It makes sense though. If my porch were covered I could leave some outside. I guess I could leave them inside by the door.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Great idea! I used to have "walking the dog" shoes when we lived in an apartment.

Joyful Days said...

Very smart!

Overwhelmed! said...

Well, I sort of do this, only I keep a pair of flip flops right inside my front door at all times. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

A girl after my own heart! I hate wearing socks or shoes!!! This is a great idea!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Oh how I miss Southern California.

And as much as I love my orderly house and I admire Fly Lady, I do not get dressed and I do not wear shoes inside :)!!

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

Great idea. I need some outside each door!

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great tip....I don't wear shoes inside either!

Linda

Alexandra said...

I do this, only I have a pair of plastic slip-ons which are so easy to wash off with the hose before coming in. I just leave them at the door.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I have shoes right inside of my door for the same purpose. I can't really get into the whole wearing shoes inside the house either. Yuck!

Aisling said...

I hate the shoe thing too! And lace ups for crying out loud! Love your tip BTW!

Tune said...

Hi! I found your blog through Jennifer's link at www.conversiondiary.com today. You grew up in Indonesia? That is really cool! I am originally from Indonesia! So do you speak any Bahasa Indonesia at all by any chance?