Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tuesday of nothing in particular

Okay, that's not true. Today is the saint day of Cuthbert of Lindsfarne. And I know a bit about Lindsfarne, but nothing really of Cuthbert. In fact, here is a list of upcoming saints' days that I know little or nothing about:

March 21: Thomas Ken, Bishop of Bath and Wells
March 22: James De Koven, Priest
March 23: Gregory the Illuminator, Bishop and Missionary of Armenia

But then you hit March 25, and it's the Annunciation. Now that I have heard of. (And I hope you have too. If nothing else, count nine months forward and see what you find.)

Speaking of babies, I have to point out after my last post mentioning bringing a meal to a friend who just gave birth, that I would never have known to do such a thing if it weren't for the innumberable people who brought us meals after we had our babies. That's where I learned that good habit. I never would have thought of it on my own, but having so many people helping us out showed me what I ought to be doing for other people. In other words, I'm not so wonderful, I just hang around around contagiously wonderful people. I tell you, you have to be careful going to church these days. :D So thanks for the compliment, but it's not me. It's them. Or more, it's him. That's why any of us know how to be generous. 'Cause we're copying our big brother.


Is it just me, or does knowing it's three weeks till Easter make it hard not to be cheerful? I'm beginning to feel it. Even while I'm saying: "The Lord is full of compassion and mercy: O, come, let us adore him," it's hard not to let my eye skip forward to "Alleluia. The Lord is risen indeed: O come, let us adore him. Alleluia." My inner eye keeps filling with glorious, golden pictures of that Sunday morning three weeks from now, the sanctuary decked in flowers, all the purple veils pulled off and light flooding through the stained glass. Even on that most somber of days, Good Friday, I know we won't be able to keep the secret. We'll take communion, and we'll remember what it means, we'll remember that we don't seek the living among the dead, that Christ is risen, and he is risen indeed.

Oh well. I will try to be somber for the next three weeks. But I really can't keep the secret. No Christian is able to do so. :D

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: