Sunday, March 25, 2007

weekend project: mei tai

I have wanted, for quite awhile now, a soft back carrier to put my infant son in during that magical hour after naps but before dinner. You know, the hour when babies MUST be held. Even though it is also the time when dinner MUST be made. A nice carrier that would let my son be held, and with me, but that would keep him out of the way of sharp knives and hot stovetops (something not possible with my otherwise lovely ring sling).

My wonderful husband thought this was a good idea too, liked the pattern I found here, and also liked the idea of making a carrier that would be adjustable to him. So, I cut and pinned, and he sewed, and several hours and about $10 worth of cotton denim later, we have this:


Isn't that cool? And, let me tell you, incredibly comfy. You can't see it in this picture, but along with the shoulder straps (which are super-wide) there's a waist strap, which makes all the difference in the world in how it feels on. You can put the kid on the front too, and my 2 1/2 year old fits in it also.

So, that's what we did this weekend. Any other fun weekend projects out there?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

3 comments:

Amanda Bindel said...

Oh, we loved our Mei Tei (um...make that Mei TeiS...babywearing is addictive!) You did a great job!! And only ten bucks...so jealous.

Amber said...

Wow, that looks great! I think I have baby carrier envy. :-) We use a small-ish baby backpack for that magic hour, and while it works well, yours looks more comfy and a bit lower profile.

Jen said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to try this. I've always been curious about the Mei Tei carriers. I have an EllaRoo wrap that I really love but I'm always up for trying something new. :)