Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kill the Passive Voice - and Don't Worry, It Won't Fight Back

On Monday, I spent an hour combing through 200+ pages of manuscript looking for the word "were". Because which sounds better:

1) "They were facing each other"

or,

2) "They faced each other"?

Usually the second.

Today and yesterday, I spent a few hours combing through the same 200+ pages looking for the word "was". Because "he stood" is so much cleaner than "he was standing".

Tomorrow, I take bow and arrow and go on a hunt for "had"!

And, truly, this is all much more exciting than it has any right to be. I love editing. Who knew?

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Ha! Love this--as a former English teacher I was constantly battling passive voice with my students. Glad you find it more enjoyable than they did!