Thursday, March 29, 2012

7 Quick Takes

I feel like I haven't been posting enough about books, and it's partly because I've been reading a lot of unpublished stuff - mine and others. Can't publicly review those yet.

But I have been reading other things! Just not finishing them. So for 7 Quick Takes today, I'm going to give you a quick take out of seven of the books I'm currently reading:

1. "Small wooden booths were set up at various points around the city in which the watchmen could sit and observe the passersby. Each booth had a single door and inebriated young men considered it a great lark to overturn the booth (with the Charley inside) or to turn it door-side to the wall so he could not get out. This was known as 'boxing the watch'." -Georgette Heyer's Regency World, by Jennifer Kloester.

2. "Is Christian salvation forgiveness, a personal relationship with Jesus, power for moral transformation, or going to heaven? It is all of these and more, but a true account of the thing itself will have to start with the living whole if we ever hope to make sense of the parts." -The Deep Things of God: How the Trinity Changes Everything, by Fred Sanders

3. "Then in a flash Knife understood: That was what made the other paintings in the room special too. They weren't just images, they were ideas." -Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter, by R. J. Anderson

4. "I knew nothing about these wonder drugs [sulpha] then. When our family doctor tipped that tablet into my hand and bade me crush it up I wondered how it could possibly do anything for a baby whose tiny ears were standing out from his head with the abscesses behind them. I just held my toddler in my arms, the only thing that seemed to comfort him. We walked the floor with that moaning infant for four hours. Bill was staying with his mother and she was too nervous of the dark to go home alone, but I wanted to scream out, 'Don't leave me . . . if he's going to die, I want you here,' but that would mean putting it into words." -The Essie Summers Story, by Essie Summers

5. "Now the end of life puts the longest life on a par with the shortest." -The City of God, by St. Augustine

6. "The Christian nations of our day seem to me to present a most alarming spectacle; the movement which impels them is already so strong that it cannot be stopped, but it is not yet so rapid that it cannot be guided. Their fate is still in their own hands; but very soon they may lose control." - Democracy in America, by Alexis de Tocqueville

7. “I imagine you come across a number of people who are disconcerted by the difference between what you do feel and what they fancy you ought to feel. It is fatal to pay the smallest attention to them.” -Gaudy Night, by Dorothy Sayers


The last because I am pretty much always reading Gaudy Night.

More Quick Takes over at Conversion Diary!

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was wondering how much time I had to let pass before I could pick up Gaudy Night again! (Is two weeks enough?)