Monday, March 5, 2012

Exercise DVD Review: "Billy Blanks: Boot Camp S.O.S." (Tae-Bo)

Another library DVD! This one was a perfect day for a fit when I had a longer time to exercise, because the DVD clocks in at just under 50 minutes.

It's funny that, although this is a much tougher workout, the instructor Billy Blanks reminds me most of is the sweet and gentle Leslie Sansone, of "Walk Away the Pounds" fame. She might be having you walk in place for 30 minutes, while Blanks has you doing kickboxing for almost an hour, but the share the same encouraging spirit. I was surprised at how often Blanks' cues included something like, "hang in there, you're doing well, take a break if you need to and go at your own pace, but then come back in and join us again, you can do it."

And that was kind of nice, especially as I didn't feel inclined to do, say, jumping back-kicks. Nothing against jumping (well, hopping, in this case) back-kicks, but I know enough about them to know that I don't want to do them in my small living room, especially when I haven't practiced karate in so long. I think this DVD is one where you need to be aware that there are some moves that might injure you if you're not careful.

But that caveat aside, I really liked "Boot Camp S.O.S." It got my heart rate up nicely and gave a good burn in the big muscles of the legs. Blanks has you run through each sequence at half-speed before turning it up full-throttle, and for all but a few of the sequences, that bit of practice was enough to let me go all out when it was time.

The back-up exercisers are hilariously into the workout. They'd be totally annoying if you were in a bad mood, but I was inclined to enjoy myself, and so I found all the yipping and high-fiving in the background funny this time around.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: