Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yarnalong: "Lady in the Mist" and vanilla socks



I'm reading "Lady in the Mist" by Laurie Alice Eakes, which is about an American midwife who falls in love with an Englishman. It's not a traditional Regency; though you have your typical Regency hero, only he's been misplaced and instead of stalking the halls of Almacks or riding his horse down the Rotten Row in London, he's stumbling around what he still thinks of as "the colonies" and trying not to fall too hard for the woman he first meets on a misty morning on a New England beach.

The socks . . . the socks are an experiment. I'm trying to knit and crochet down my stash of yarn this year, and I came across a ball of sock yarn I'd bought, um, sometime? at  . . . Jo-Ann's, apparently? to make . . . a thing? yes. I apparently had lots of foresight when I made that particular purchase.

Anyway, it only had 262 yards, according to Ravelry, and I decided to see if I could manage to get a pair of socks out of it. Ankle-length, obviously. I'm more or less following Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Basic Sock Recipe.

I think I'm going to make it.

More yarn and books here, at Small Things.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love those socks! They look so warm!

Andria said...

I love that sock yarn, it is gorgeous! The book sounds interesting too, thanks!

Knitters Notebook said...

Thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog....The socks look great!

karen said...

Cute sock! I am sure you have enough for a pair.

Julie_c said...

Good luck on the socks! It looks like you're going to have a really cute pair. I tried a sock once... :)

Lydia said...

Beautiful socks! I love the colorway.

Kristen said...

That's a great sock, and I great idea for stash-busting. I've enjoyed scrolling through your blog!

Kristi said...

oh! I have that same goal of getting my scraps/stash under control too! Bravo on your socks. I've given up on them for now as I just wear holes in them!

Kim said...

Love the socks and the colours are fabulous!!! Fingers crossed you have enough yarn to finish them up.

Alisa said...

such cute socks!!!

W-S Wanderings said...

It is a lovely sock in its stripes and soft but confident colours. I love that it's an ankle sock too! And I have long-forgotten balls of yarn like that too - what was I thinking I'd use it for???? Why do I not plan my projects better??? Inspiration just doesn't work that way.