Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yarnalong: Chain Reaction Afghan and "The Jesus Prayer" by Frederica Mathewes-Green


Here are a few of the finished squares of the afghan:
Different techniques for each square, which keeps it fun:
The book, like all of Mathewes-Green's books, is good. Here's a quotation:
   The things we lay down firmly in our memories matter. They endure. If you take the words of the Jesus Prayer and "write them on the tablet of your heart" (Prov. 3:3), on the day when you are far away on the gray sea of Alzheimer's, the Prayer will still be there, keeping your hand clasped in the hand of the Lord.
    A nun had been assigned to care for an elderly monk with advanced dementia. One day his babbling was of a kind that was distressing to her. Suddenly he broke free, as it were, looked her in the eye and said, "Dear sister, you are upset because of what I am saying. But do not fear. Inside, I am with God."
So good. I'm reading this one slowly, mulling and thinking and letting it soak in.

More squares. A woven one:
A medallion:
I think my daughter is really going to like her blanket when it's done.


Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

15 comments:

karen said...

Such beautiful squares you have created! Love all the color combinations :)

Karen said...

OH.MY.GOSH!
I am so going to have to do this - when I am done with the rest of my stuff - maybe, maybe I won't wait!
what a fantastic way to use up the stash (of which I have a tremendous one!)
Thank you for stopping by my online-home - looks like I will be visiting here more often!
Blessings
Karen

Victoria said...

How have I never heard of that book? Sounds absolutely fascinating! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Oh, and my husband and I are pretty squarely opposites on the personality scale, too.

Wendy said...

Great variety of squares--looks like it will be a really fun afghan for your daughter.

I love the quote from your book--memorization of Scripture is so important!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and it looks very hard!

Lydia said...

So lovely! I really need to learn crochet so I can make some lovely afghans!

Nicky said...

I think she will too. it will be amazing

Emily@theNest said...

Wow, those squares are fantastic: and such a great idea since I have the attention span of a gnat!!

Kylie said...

The squares are gorgeous! I love the woven one.

house full of jays said...

Wow! Those squares are beautiful!

One Acre Follies said...

That first square is my favorite! Beautiful colors. The book sounds very interesting.

Jennifer said...

I just LOVE the medallion square! It's beautiful.
JNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism

Crooked Moon Mama said...

Oh, that afghan will be gorgeous!!!
xo

Lori ann said...

those are really beautiful!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love projects where you get to try out new skills and techniques! This will definitely be a great afghan.