Saturday, February 11, 2012

Knit and Crochet Works-in-Progress

Around New Year's, I managed to get all my works-in-progress (WIPs) finished. But in the past month an a half, I've well and truly made up for that burst of self control!  Here's what I've got on needles and on hooks right now:

1) My Dim Sum afghan - my attempt at the truly epic "Chain Reaction Afghan" pattern from Interweave Crochet. Each square is approximately 12" and was designed by a different designer, and I'm learning tons of new techniques (and weaving in hundreds of ends!). Using odd bits of Caron Simply Soft yarn:


2. My first knit sweater! Not much to look at yet, but hopefully it's going to eventually turn into the "Round the Corner Hoodie" from Vogue Knitting. I'm working in it Wool of the Andes, in the "Everglade Heather" colorway:

3. Some new dishcloths. No pattern, just crocheting them up in the evenings while Adam reads the kids their Bible stories:

4. My Dusk Socks. I'm on the toe decreases for the second sock now, so these should be off the needles soon:

5. My version of the Petals Wrap Cardigan. I'm to the sleeves now!

6. My "Juice Box Socks". I'm on the heel of the second sock, so it'll be awhile yet till this pair is ready to wear.

Whew! That's a lot. But the truth is, I really like having a variety of projects going. Knitting and crocheting is what I do to relax, and it's nice to have a project to match whatever mood I'm in. Sometimes I want to lose myself something challenging, so I'll tackle the Dim Sum Afghan. Sometimes I just want something simple, so I'll work on the plain socks. Sometimes something in between. They're all getting worked on, here and there.

I'm being very strict on myself right now in my writing life, making myself produce 1000+ words every day on the same project, and so my needlework is  where I can relax and just do whatever I feel like. It's a great outlet.

Anyone else feel like their crafts are that kind of outlet? Or maybe cooking? or working out? Where do you let yourself just relax and go?

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

MomCO3 said...

Wow! I've been feeling like my knitting (and sewing) is in a funk... too much to go on the crazy triceratops, and I'm waiting on fabric for a spinny skirt a friend asked me for. But I've been running as an antidote to all the inner work of my daily 1000 words. Thanks for the inspiration!