Tuesday, January 30, 2007

on the practical and the spiritual

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying writing this blog. (Here, watch me try: "Lots! I'm enjoying it lots!" See, wasn't that eloquent?)

But I've run into a slight snag: this blog is about homemaking and the church year, and while I'm under the impression that most of my posts should be about both topics, sometimes I want to write a post just about the church year, or one just about homemaking.

For the past few weeks, it's seemed to me that this might be breaking the rules, but I think I've decided (fiat me!) that it's not. 'Cause it's my blog.


Oh, okay, I guess I actually have a little more reason than that. The truth is that it's all about Jesus. If you're a Christian, everything you do is to be done to the glory of God. So, hopefully, when I write a post that's just about the practicalities of homemaking, you'll understand that I write it on the assumption that the recipe I'm cooking, or the cleaning technique I'm using, or the garden I'm planting is being cooked, used or planted to the glory of God. All things done excellently, for God's glory.

A much greater man, J.S. Bach, used to inscribe an acronym for "To the Glory of God Alone" on all of his written music. The notes, of course, being notes and not words, wouldn't spell out the gospel (though I know I have some musician friends who would argue differently!). But he wanted it understood that everything he did was with a mind of pleasing Christ. Writing down notes was practical, doing it for God's glory was spiritual, but it was all one thing.


So, while I intend this blog to look at the relationship between the liturgical church year and the job of homemaking, sometimes I'll just be talking about one or the other. Even though not all the individual posts will tie the two together, hopefully the blog as a whole will.


Okay, thanks for letting me muse on that subject. Back to more normal pontificating shortly! :D

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: