Tuesday, January 23, 2007

wfmw: audio books

When I was a teenager, I read for hours and hours a day. Once I recommended a book to my mom's friend, Cyndi, and she told me, sadly, "Jess, I just don't think I have time to read that right now."

It boggled my mind. How could you not have time to read?

Now that I'm a mom, I get it. In between cooking, cleaning, child-care, doing the budget, etc, etc, etc, it's hard to sit down and polish off a good book. And even when I get my devotional time in, it's never as long as it should be.

My solution? Audio books! I usually work on dinner in the afternoon, when my kiddos are down for their naps. And now that's the time I listen to books too. And it's the time I can listen to the Bible on tape for an hour at a time, while I get other things done. It's not Bible study with any great depth, but it's Bible study with some great length, and that's a welcome change!

So, books-on-tape while I do chores: works for me!

(And what else works for me? Checking them out for free at my local library!)

For other great ideas, visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer.


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

p.s. Cyndi, btw, was in the middle of getting her doctorate, and reading tons of OTHER good things, when she gently let me know she didn't quite have the time to read the latest novel that fascinated the teenage me. I don't want anyone thinking this amazing women was in the slightest bit literature-adverse. Now she sends ME books to read for MY kids. :D (Thanks, Cyndi!)

8 comments:

owlhaven said...

My husband reads audio books on the way to and from work. That's about the only time he has to reasd anything other than the Bible and the newspaper.

Mary, mom to many

Joshua said...

Cyndi also has a very large collection of her own audio books now too, just so you know...

Lara said...

Audio books are wonderful. We took some on our two week driving vacation last month and they entertained everyone. Even the baby. They put her to sleep every time but my 7 and 9 year old hardly slept at all because they didn't want to miss anything! I don't know why people travel with movies when they could listen to a good book with their kids and then discuss it together.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I'll have to do that. I love to read and am finding it harder and harder to get to all the books I want!!! Thanks for sharing, oh, and I love Lara's idea about using them for entertainment on a long trip!!

Lines From The Vine said...

We love audio books...even my children have some to listen to as they go to sleep at night...they are great!

Blessings,
Tracy

Sarah said...

Jess, I love this new blogging endeavour of yours. And I'm not even a mom!

However, it's driving me crazy...what in the world does "wfmw" stand for?

Barbara H. said...

Great idea!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Kim said...

I adore audiobooks. When I was still working outside the home, I did home health nursing. The audiobooks were great to listen to in between my patients' homes. I still listen to them on road trips and while running errands. I haven't worked up the nerve to wear an ipod to Walmart while I grocery shop and listen, but I've considered it. Great topic for WFMW.