Tuesday, January 2, 2007

welcome!

Being a mom has changed how I attend church.  I can't help but notice as we move from Advent to Christmas, from Christmas to Epiphany, that the entire church calandar is set up like the best of preschools.  In a year, we are taken through the whole gospel, made to act out the stories, look at the pictures and sing the songs.   Even do our art projects, as we all sit in the pews the Sunday before Easter, folding palm crosses.  My dad, the literacy expert, would point out that all of the pantomime developed to teach this best of stories, the story of Jesus, to a preliterate society.  

I think "preliterate society" and I think of my two children, Bess and Gamgee.

And it fits, when you think about it.  Because, in a way, we're God's toddlers, and He's determined to hammer good discipline into us, for our own good, of course.  The church year is a tool in his hands, to remind us who He is, what He's done, and how much He loves us.

The church is also our home, the Body of Christ, that we are living in now, and will live on in even after death.  And when I say the General Confession on my knees every Sunday, it makes me think of how I have to clean the bathroom at home every week.  And when I greet friends during the peace, I think about how I need to notice and love my family.  And when I take communion, I think about how I nourish my nursing baby with my body in imitation of how God nourishes me.

Which is enough to say: I think there's a lot about the church year that I can learn by looking at my housework, and a lot about my job of homemaking that I can learn by studying the church year.   This blog is about church and home, and I hope you enjoy the journey with me.  

So, comment early, comment often and come back again! 

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

 

2 comments:

I've moved said...

Very interesting idea. I'll try to return.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I like it, Jessica. I'll be reading.