Monday, January 15, 2007

Christmas Plates

Last year I bought a set of Christmas plates at an after-Christmas sale. This year I got to use them. The really cool thing? How much we all enjoyed them. Even my two-year old started clamoring to eat off of them 'round about suppertime.

So, I'm thinking . . . how cool would it be to have plates for each of the major liturgical seasons? Sort of like our priests have vestments for each season? You know, you could have purple ones for Lent and Advent, and gold or white ones for Easter, red for Pentecost, and green for ordinary time. I think it would be a cool way to remember Sunday throughout the week, so to speak.

(I have to admit that I also like the idea because green is my favorite color, and that's what would be on the table most of the year. )


'course, we aren't rich out here, so it'd probably take me a few years to build up a collection like that, but with the help of my favorite local thrift store, it might be possible. Too bad they don't have after-Pentecost sales. :D


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

p.s. I'm thinking that this would work best if you just have plain glasses and silverware, since they'd go with any kind of plate. Another way to do it would be to get placemats or tableclothes or cloth napkins for each of the church seasons. Also, how cool would it be to have something like that on the table to prompt coversations about God with the kids at dinnertime?

1 comment:

Shana said...

That would definitely be fun. Little kids eat that sort of thing up, and teaching them about the church year whenever possible is definitely a bonus.