Saturday, January 3, 2015

a romantic scene, for the fun of it


             Essie sipped some tea. “So what about you? Are you going to be scrambling for someone, then? Before everyone else wakes up and counts the odds?”

            “Oh no,” John said. “The only one I’d consider just told me she’s off the market.”

            She got very quiet.

            “Don’t tell me you didn’t know,” he said.

            “No, I knew,” she said softly.

            “Well, then. I figured you must.”

            “Yes . . . but I haven’t been able to figure out why you never said anything.”

            “When I was such a jerk all those years ago? Seemed to me I had enough work cut out for myself just proving myself to be a good man. And a good friend, I hope.”

            “Oh, you needn’t worry about that any longer,” she said. “You’ve more than proven yourself.”

            He straightened. “Really.”

            Her eyes flicked up to meet his gaze. “Really. You think I lie?”

            “Not to me, I hope.”

            “Ha.”

            “Well, then,” he said. “That changes things.”

            She frowned on him. “I hope you’re not about to leap on me.”

            He made a face. “As if I would. Essie, I’ll have you know I’m much, much smoother than that.”

            “Oh, you are, are you?”

            “I’m a great date. Stellar.”

            “Oh yes?”

            He leaned forward. “And kissing? I’m fantastic. Fan-tas-tic.”

            She was frankly giggling, and he smiled in satisfaction and leaned back again.

            “You see?” he asked.

            “See what?” she asked, still laughing.

            “I make you laugh.”

            “So?”

            “That’s the first step in a good romance,” he informed her. “Laughter.”

            She shook her head at him helplessly.

            “Just you wait,” he said. “You’re going to love this. I promise.”

            “I haven’t said yes yet!” she protested.

            “Well of course you haven’t,” he replied, “I haven’t bloody well asked you anything yet. Impatient woman.”

            She started laughing again, and John watched her, content as a cat watching a cup full of cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Essie"! hat-tip to Essie Summers! love it.
mom

Jessica Snell said...

I'm actually reading an Essie Summers book right now! :)