Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A new way of looking at New Year's resolutions

Mt. Rainer Dawn, by Betsy Barber
It's no secret that I love New Year's resolutions. I love big conceptual ones (e.g., "Love God, love my husband, love my kids and WRITE) and I love super-specific ones (e.g., "memorize the Psalms of Ascent").

I really love taking big conceptual ones and making them specific. (e.g., "One of the ways I will show my love for God is by memorizing the Psalms of Ascent.")

Recently, I came across a note to myself. It read:
Things that keep me healthy: sleep, exercise, writing, good food, prayer, eye-to-eye contact with family
And I thought: "huh. That sounds like a good way to think about my New Year's resolutions this year."

Stewardship:
What keeps me healthy? Healthy not just in body, but in mind and heart?

We're stewards of ourselves. We're to take what we're given - this particular body, mind, and heart - and use it for the glory of God.

What does that look like?

It's different for every person, I think.

Well, it's different in the specifics. The overarching goal is the same: Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself. But how that works out in your specific circumstances is going to vary.

The new year can be a prompt to examine our stewardship of these selves that God has given us. Are we staying healthy? What's working? What needs tweaking? What would it be good to try anew in the coming year?

I never make New Year's resolutions assuming that I'm going to keep them all perfectly. But I do better when I have something I'm aiming at.

The Plan:
So, this next week on the blog, I'm going to look at these different areas of my life:
-Loving God
-Loving my husband
-Loving my kids
-Loving myself (this is that stewardship thing!)
-Writing (i.e., working well - insert your particular calling here)
-Keeping House
-Misc.
And journal through what I'd like to work on this year.

Do it with me!
I'd love it if you did this along with me! You can participate either by posting your goals in the comments, or by sending me a link to your own blog post about your goals, which I'll be happy to post here for you. I get inspired when I read how other people are working out their particular callings, and the more, the merrier.

So, first up tomorrow: New Year's Resolution #1: Love God.

Can't wait to hear what you all have to say!
Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Tienne said...

This really resonated with me! I was reflecting that my resolutions are always the same, and that, like confessing my sins, that sameness could be discouraging and appear as "failure to progress." But thinking of the specifics, and that life is a journey not an endpoint, puts it into perspective. So, although my resolutions are pretty much exactly the same as yours (HA, so great!) my specifics are different this year from last. I love the idea of sharing, too. When I get to my blogpost I will link it here. :) Much love!