Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weekend Eats Made Easy

Am I the only one who's great at getting dinner on the table during the week and resorts to take-out on the weekends?

No, not always, not constantly, but . . . it was happening often enough that it was making me a bit nuts. Not healthy, not budget-friendly.

An experiment
So! I tried something new, and it worked. I've been stopping by the grocery store on Fridays and buying three things:

1. Whatever meat is on sale. Or maybe cheese.
2. Whatever produce is on sale.
3. Bread/tortillas/chips . . . whatever looks good.

And on Friday I cook the meat and prep the produce. E.g., I bake and shred chicken and wash grapes.

Not complicated, right? But having meat, bread, and easy fruit or veg in the fridge makes it really, really easy to make healthy meals at home on the weekend.  Quesadillas, sandwiches, nachos, chef salad, cheese and crackers . . . it doesn't really matter. But we've got our protein, our carb, and our produce. Since we've always got spices and condiments, there are a gazillion ways to combine whatever basics I've picked up and prepped.

Anyway - super-simple, and probably most of you have already figured something like this out, but I was feeling clever and wanted to share. :D

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: