Monday, September 24, 2012

Links: all about education

I have a couple of posts up on education over at Regency Reflections:

Continuing Education:
I was lucky enough to get my part of my college education at a great books program – that is, a program based on the sort of education that’s been going over in England for centuries – back to the Regency time and beyond.
The big differences between what I did and what your average Regency gentleman did are:
1. I got to study the great works of Western literature in translation. Back in the day, you would have read Aristotle, Plato, Virgil and the rest in the original Greek and Latin.
2. I got to do it even though I’m a woman.
Mary Wollenstonecraft: Education for Women:
Though she’s considered one of the mothers of feminism, Wollenstonecraft’s feminism was very different from the feminism that makes headlines today. Instead of arguing for the right of woman to be just as raunchy as the guys, Wollenstonecraft was concerned with women’s virtue: she argued that it was impossible for women to make wise decisions if they’d never been taught how to think.

Click on over and leave a comment - if you've read the great books, what sort of an influence have they had on you? and what do you think of Wollenstonecraft's version of feminism? Love to hear your thoughts.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell


No comments: