Monday, September 24, 2012

Interview with Inspirational Regency Author Susanne Dietze

Recently, I was thrilled to learn that a friend of mine in the ACFW, Susanne Dietze, had signed a contract for literary representation, the first big step on the road to getting published. Since I know other aspiring authors read this blog, I asked Susie if she'd be willing to answer some questions about her journey to signing with her agent, and she kindly agreed. Here's my interview with her:

Susanne, you recently signed with an agent who will be representing your inspirational
Regency romance. What made you want to write in this genre?

I find the Regency era to be quite romantic. While brief (around ten years, from around 1810-1820), England’s Regency period packed a punch, rich in art, literature, architecture, fashion, landscape design, and more. It was also a time of regimented social expectations and rules. I’m intrigued by that sense of structure and how people worked within it. I love the dukes, debutantes, deceptions and drama! And romance, of course, between a gently-bred miss in an empire-waist gown and an unsuitable gentleman in a pair of gleaming Hessians.

How did you choose which agents to query? And, what excited you particularly about the
agent you signed with?

I spent about three years doing laid-back research: peeking at agent websites, listening to friends’ experiences with their agents, reading articles and agents’ blogs, etc. It’s important to learn what genres an agent represents and what she expects from her clients. I thought about what I might need in an agent, but I also decided it was better for me to have no agent than the wrong agent. So I prayed for God’s will, kept writing, and paid attention.

For years, I’ve been familiar with Tamela Hancock Murray (my agent—wahoo!) because she’s also an author, and I have a few of her books on my shelves. Her agency, The Steve Laube Agency, is represents many authors I enjoy and respect. Tamela is knowledgeable, affirming, approachable, and professional. The idea of being on her team thrilled me.

What was the hardest part about getting your manuscript ready to query?

Finishing it! You may laugh, but I’m serious. I was at a crossroads with my writing, wondering what to do after a rejection. I decided to rework an old story. Aside from keeping the premise, I started over, writing two chapters and a synopsis. I entered the story into two contests to receive some feedback. I finaled in one contest and won the other—and received proposal requests from the final round judges, who were editors. I obliged, but I still had to finish the manuscript.

Do you have any advice for beginning writers - or any who aren't quite beginning, but who
aren't professional yet either?

First of all, write. Secondly, have a teachable spirit. Read books on craft. Enter contests for feedback: discovering your weaknesses is a gift, because you can work on those areas. Thank those contest judges for giving of their time to help you, even if you disagree with them (or felt they were mean). Attend conferences if you can. I know how expensive they are, so I can’t talk: I just attended my first national conference—RWA—in July. But it was wonderful to meet people and learn so much about writing. You can purchase workshop CDs from both RWA and ACFW conferences.

How did you feel when your agent offered to represent you?

I was thrilled and humbled. It’s hard to describe how humbled I still am.

Who were you most excited to tell about your offer?

My husband. He was in a meeting, so I couldn’t contact him right away, and it drove me nuts. Of course I was also excited to tell my kids and parents, who have been patient and encouraging.

How do you fit writing time into every day life?

There’s no easy answer to this one. I’m still figuring it out. Finding balance looks different to everyone. For me, evenings are family time. But other writers find they only have evenings available. You have to discover what works best for your family and be flexible.

What's next for you? and, where can the readers of this blog find out more about you and
what you're up to?

I’m working on a new Regency, and I just set up a website. Both projects have been fun, but both have a long way to go to be complete! The website may not be finished, but I’ve posted some articles on Regency weddings, currency, Christmas, and offered links to some fabulous research sites. I’m adding things all the time (up next, pages on Regency “cant” and fashion).

Links:
www.susannedietze.com
www.susannedietze.blogspot.com
www.inkwellinspirations.com

My thanks to Susanne for stopping by the blog. I encourage you to subscribe to her blog - she's one fun and encouraging lady, and you'll want to add her title to your to-read list once it has a release date!

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

6 comments:

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks for hosting me, Jessica! I enjoy your blog and it's a pleasure to be here today.

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Oh, I'm looking forward to reading some of you work!

You're so right about writers having to keep a teachable spirit. We have to keep learning and growing, and there are so many people out there who have the knowledge and experience we need, if we only listen.

Great interview!

Debra E. Marvin said...

I ve had the pleasure of reading Susanne's work and I know you are all going to love it too, when tat first book comes out!

Finding time to write is difficult for any writer but someone like Susie, who always puts her family first, really has to scrape for those hours to write. It's not easy to 'selfish' about it but sometimes we just have to shut the door!

Lovely blog, Jessica! Susie has her delightful Tea and a Good Book but we're so glad she's part of our group blog too!

Suzie Johnson said...

Susanne is a great writer and an even greater friend! I'm looking forward to the day she sells so we can all read her wonderful words.

Susanne Dietze said...

DeAnna, thanks so much for coming by! I know I've learned a lot from you and other established authors.

Oh, Deb, that's so kind of you to say. You are a fabulous crit partner. :) Writing time can be so hard to come by. Work, family, life...all can compete for time.

Suzie, thanks so much. You're a dear friend to me!

Jessica Snell said...

Susanne - thank you so much for stopping by. I enjoyed your answers to my questions so much!

Thank you to the rest of you too - it's always fun to met new faces!