Saturday, January 7, 2012

Wow, that's so me

Adam and I were doing some reorganizing today, in the wake of Christmas, and I ended up moving some old papers - mostly stories written while I was a teenager - from one huge plastic bin to another. Of course, I couldn't just move the papers, I had to dip into them and read some of these old forgotten-yet-familiar words, and see what exactly I was thinking about half a lifetime ago. Here's what I discovered:

-boy, my stories had a lot of kissing in them. You'd think I was a teenager or something.

-man, my poetry had a lot of anxiety it in. You'd think I was a teenager or something.

-This. I present it without comment:
It's funny. Now that I'm a senior and now that I'm valedictorian and now that I've been accepted to college and now that I have definite friends and status; now that I have a thoroughly defined position, I feel like I can stop and look around me and no one will think it's odd, because they'll see all those things they think I am, and I can actually do as I please unobserved.
-Actually, I will comment on that: that's so me. Accomplishment for the sake of detachment. I . . . I really still can't quite tell if that impulse is altogether bad. It's certainly not all good.

-I used to think sixty was old.

-I had a real faith in Jesus even then.

-Seriously, my stories had a lot of kissing in them. Man, teenagers are horny. Even chaste ones. Golly, that's going to be an interesting time in parenting when we get there. Lord, have mercy. (I have reason to think He will be, praise Him.)

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah yes Jess, that was YOU, back then! I remember that girl well... very dear and sweet she was. (and I'm glad for the past tense in: "I used to think 60 was old", btw, given that I'm pressing hard on 60 now ;)) I love you whatever age you are, Mom