Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review: "Simply Crochet", by Robyn Chachula

Simply Crochet: 22 Stylish Designs for EverydaySimply Crochet: 22 Stylish Designs for Everyday by Robyn Chachula

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When I heard that a new crochet book was coming out that featured two of my favorite designers - Doris Chan and Kristen Omdahl - I didn't just get excited, I actually preordered it.



And when it arrived, "Simply Crochet" didn't disappoint. In addition to featuring 22 patterns, the majority of which fall definitively into the "pretty" and not the "tacky" category of crochet, "Simply Crochet" is intentionally structured to help you get the most out of your yarn budget.



The projects are organized by how many balls of yarn they use and throughout the book are tips from the designers about both organizing your stash of yarn and about frugally enhancing it.



Patterns from this book that particularly stood out to me:

-the Annabel Shawl by Kristen Omdahl: a striking triangle shawl made of seamlessly joined motifs.

-the Float Vest by Robyn Chachula: well-named, the Float Vest is made of a simple lace pattern and hangs easily from the shoulders

-the Spa Shawl Top by Doris Chan: it looks like a shawl with a waist - the lacy, loose sleeves are gathered together at the waist for a silhouette that's both shapely and flattering.

-the Twist Cowl/Wrap by Linda Permann: I've been wanting to try Solomon's Knot for awhile, and this cowl is a very pretty take on that stitch pattern.



There were a few patterns I know I'll never make, but the percentage of designs I didn't like was much smaller than the percentage of ones I did, and the layout and text of the book are both inviting. If you're looking for some crochet inspiration, this is a good book to get.



Peace of Christ to you,

Jessica Snell



View all my reviews

No comments: