Monday, January 23, 2012

Daybook for January 23, 2012


outside my window . . . the sun's just come out after what was a truly satisfying morning rain storm.

I am listening to . . . "A Hymn to God the Father", sung by my alma mater's acapella group. " Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun a year or two, but wallowed in a score? When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done, for I have more."  Golly. It gets me every time.

I am wearing . . . my hand-crocheted wool vest. It's just barely cold enough for it. (We treasure our cold days here in SoCal, scarcity equaling value and all that.)

I am so grateful for . . . bananas. I stopped eating them for awhile, but I'm now renewing my appreciation of what a perfect, filling snack they are.

I'm pondering . . . Lent. See above song choice.

I am reading . . . The Elizabethan World Picture. It's all about order. (And John Donne!)

I am creating . . . many, many things. A few weeks ago my writing life sort of exploded (I'll blog about that at some point, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around these new projects). I think all this mental activity (frenzy?) explains why I'm headed back in my reading and listening to old favorites like Donne. Donne (like Sayers) always helps put my head back on straight.

I am thankful for . . . writing projects. I'm doing what I love.

around the house . . . there is much making of soup, the better to treasure our precious cold and wet weather.

from the kitchen . . . 12 bean soup tonight and split pea in the crockpot for tomorrow.

real education in our home . . . working on making evening devotions with the kids more regular. All four children are currently a bit obsessed with Moses, and we're capitalizing on that.

the church year in our home . . . thinking about Lent, mostly. Enjoying how light and airy the house feels now that all the Christmas decorations are put away.

recent milestones . . . just hit 30,000 words on the current novel!

the week ahead. . . more writing, more loving on the kids, and a visit from a relative who's coming into town from Scotland.

picture thought . . . enjoying some GORP on top of the ridge we hiked with my dad last weekend:




No comments: