Sunday, January 1, 2012

Books Read in 2011

In 2010, I pushed myself to finish almost every book I started, so that I could list it as "read". This past year, I decided that was silly, and I put down a lot of books that just didn't hook me, and as a result, 2011's list is shorter than 2010's.

But it was a good year of reading. There are a few books on here that I read before I figured out that I should just put them down, so I'm not championing everything on this list, but most of them were pretty good. There's so much treasure out there!

Highlights include a few new books by favorite authors which reminded me of just why they're favorite authors - specifically the books by Elizabeth Moon, Lee & Miller, and Bujold. I discovered some new authors, and I also had the pleasure of reading a book by a friend (Cynthia Ruchti's "They Almost Always Come Home", which was the sort that shocked me when I'd set it down, because I'd discover that I'd read about a hundred pages at a gulp - she's just that smooth).

I revisited old friends, like Dorothy Sayers' "Are Women Human?" and Essie Summers' "My Lady of the Fuschias".

Dallas Willard, Lars Walker, and Tennyson also stand out as highlights. Rowling and Lewis too, of course.  Really, there's just so much good stuff out there.

So, here's the list of books I completed in 2011 (full disclosure, I count audiobooks in my list, if I really listened to the whole thing):


 1) Lewis, C. S. That Hideous Strength
2) Ugel, Edward. I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
3) Martini, Adrienne. Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
4) Lee, Patrick. The Breach
5) Sass, Cynthia. Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches
6) Campbell, Diana. The Reluctant Cyprian
7) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
8) Brooks, Caroline. Marchman’s Lady
9) Fallon, Siobhan. You Know When the Men Are Gone
10) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
11) Sayers, Dorothy. Gaudy Night
12) Bujold, Lois McMaster. Cryoburn
13) Kang, Joshua Choonmin. Scripture by Heart: Devotional Practices for Memorizing God’s Word
14) Brown, Harriet.  Brave Girl Eating: A Family’s Struggle with Anorexia
15) Moon, Elizabeth. Oath of Fealty
16) Oliver, Lauren. Delirium
17) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
18) Kunzman, Robert. Write These Laws on Your Children: Inside the World of Conservative Christian Homeschooling
19) Moon, Elizabeth. Kings of the North
20) Sanderson, Brandon. The Way of Kings
21) McCafferty, Megan. Bumped
22) Pearl-McPhee, Stephanie. Yarn Harlot
23) Summers, Essie. My Lady of the Fuchsias
24) Summers, Essie. Daughter of the Misty Gorges
25) Eastin, Staci. The Organized Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Conquering Chaos
26) Lee, Sharon and Miller, Steve. Saltation.
27)  Lee, Sharon and Miller, Steve. Mouse & Dragon.
28) King, Stephen. On Writing.
29) Hale, Shannon. The Actor and the Housewife.
30) Willard, Dallas. Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God.
31) Grant, Mira. Feed.
32) Briggs, Patricia. Moon Called.
33) McGuire, Seanan. Rosemary and Rue: an October Day Novel.
34) Walker, Lars. The Year of the Warrior.
35) Creasy, Sara. Song of Scarabaeus.
36) Wainger, Leslie. Writing a Romance Novel For Dummies
37) Grant, Mira. Deadline.
38) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
39) Lee, Sharon and Miller, Steve. Ghost Ship.
40) McGuire, Seanan. A Local Habitation.
41) McGuire, Seanan. An Artificial Night.
42) Ruchti, Cynthia. They Almost Always Come Home.
43) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
44) Heyer, Georgette. False Colours.
45) Pearl-McPhee, Stephanie. Free-Range Knitter.
46) Tennyson, Alfred, Lord. In Memoriam.
47) Kelly, Carla. The Lady’s Companion.
48) Bujold, Lois McMaster. The Curse of Chalion.
49) Vaughn, Carrie. After the Golden Age.
50) Scalzi, John. Old Man’s War.
51) Thane, Elswyth. Letter to a Stranger.
52) Kennedy, Diane. The ADHD-Autism Connection: A Step Toward More Accurate Diagnoses and Effective Treatments
53) Sayers, Dorothy. Are Women Human?
54) Bujold, Lois McMaster. Paladin of Souls.
55) Lukeman, Noah. A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation.
56) Walker, Lars. West Oversea.
57) Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
58) Pearl-McPhee, Stephanie. Knitting Rules! The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter.

Here's to another year of good reading!

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: