Saturday, July 8, 2017

On mystery novels

After I posted a link to my review of "A Share in Death" on Facebook, my friend Fr. Don White had the most insightful comment about why mystery novels, which center around horrible crimes, also tend to be full of the most beautiful writing. I'm reposting it here, with his permission.
Y'see, I like to think that the best murder mysteries bring the horror of evil into the light, and, in conveying the beautiful setting ... in which the evil is unraveled, prove once again that the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not apprehended it, but rather is apprehended itself. Evil is overcome with wisdom and beauty, and we once again have a foretaste of that inestimable and eternal Beauty for which our every soul longs, where sorrow and sighing are no more, and where every eye is blotted.


Amen!


Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell 

No comments: