Saturday, July 19, 2008

handmade holidays

We're not going entirely handmade this year, but my husband and I really like the idea of going partly handmade this Christmas. (Christmas! Hey, I'm blogging about the church year again!)

So, this morning I've been looking through my bookmarks, supplies, craft books, etc, trying to find the perfect items to create for family and friends. Here are some of the things I'm looking at:

-wire crochet jewelry, something like this.

-a "Do Not Cross - Crime Scene" scarf. Isn't that a hoot?

-I love the mosiac scarves on this post. (I love the pillow too - but I'd only commit to making something that big if I knew someone wanted it.)

-My oldest daughter has decided that instead of a star blanket, she wants a flower blanket. She's already picking out yarn.

-And my son wants a variation on the star blanket: a Spiderman blanket - look at Reply #118 on that post. (No, he's never seen Spiderman, but he has Spiderman sandels, and he thinks spiders are fascinating.)

-Tutus, anyone?

-What about this granny square bag?

-And these vintage-y Christmas ornaments?

-pressed flower art is another idea.


I don't know how far we'll get, or what I'll actually end up producing, but I'm excited about starting the projects.

Is anyone else doing a full or partially handmade Christmas? I'd love to see what you're working on, and I'd love to see links to your ideas . . . especially if you've got any brilliant ideas for the men. (I am thinking about a knit newsboy cap - like a tuk (beanie) with a brim out of grey wool . . . but it's in a book, I have no link.)

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

6 comments:

Kat said...

What lovely gifts you are looking at making this year. I have 3 girls and between then they are getting an outdoor playhouse so that has pretty much eaten up all the Christmas money before I even get started. To go with it I am going to knit and crochet playfood for all the tea parties ect I hope they will enjoy in their house. I also plan on making them a beanbag each aswell. If you check out this post on my blog http://familyofgirls.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/christmas-list-2008/
I have linked to alot of the patterns I plan on using.
My girls get a new dress each year that I sew to wear on Christmas day and often their freinds get a new skirt or dress as a wee gift aswell.

arabesque said...

I love the crocheted jewelry idea--it's SO beautiful. I'm thinking of making handmade journals this year...using composition books and altering the covers with 2D and 3D elements that revolve around a theme that reflects the person who will be receiving it. I'm not 100% sure about this since so few people enjoy hand writing these days...but imho, one can't have enough beautiful blank books! :)

MomCO3 said...

Thanks for all the ideas! I love making gifts for holidays, but I always wait too long to get started.
Blessings,
Annie

Abuk said...

We love making all our gifts! This year purses are in the works for some of the ladies in our family (as well as lingerie for the married gals err husbands?) Lots of extended family are getting aprons, my girls are getting a rug for their room and dress up outfits for feeling pretty.
A set of classy thank you cards are in the works for the great aunts.
Seek and Find bags are the fun gift of older cousins this year and shop apron for my uncle who loves woodworking. BBQ aprons for a few of the other men in our family and superheroe capes for the dogs who feel that they are children. I usually start making christmas gifts in January so I have enough time, although yipes! it is July and I'm not even close to being half done yet.
Rosemary has a star blanket her great grandma made her, but much larger then the one you have pictured and it is my favorite to spread on the carpet for play time.

Amber said...

What great project ideas! Thanks for sharing these. I have yet to think about Christmas, although I would like to make at least some things... I'm trying to get through a move and the start of school first though. But I'll definitely have to bookmark these and come back to them in mid-September!

Abuk said...

Just had to add my latest creation...felt food. Easy, can be made without a sewing machine, cheap and oh so great for sparking imagination!