Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust

This morning we were up and out of the house early, before the sun was even all the way up. At church, the children all agreed that we should sit in the front, and I agreed too, because sometimes having a better view of what's going on at the front captivates the children's attention.

There were ashes, and I looked down the row of kneeling figures, and was sorrowful to remember, again, that they would all die. But then there was the peace, and communion, and I remembered that our great and good Lord had come down to become one of us, so that we would not have to die alone, nor forever. Oh the graciousness of God.

And so I wish you a good and holy Lent. I'm not excited about the season, exactly, but I'm so glad that it's here, because my own greed and gluttony and sloth have been weighing on me, and I'm so grateful that the church says, "stop it, now," and all I have to say is "okay."

It's time to be clean. Time to let go of my stuff and just listen to the Lord. Time to soak in the scripture and look in the faces of those I love, and especially at the face of the One who loves me most of all.

May you have a good and holy Lent. May God's grace be with us all. We need it, oh so badly.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell


P.S. If Lent has crept up on you, and you're still wondering what it is or how to celebrate it, here are some more places where you can find some inspiration and guidance, or just words for when you don't have any:

-"The Lent Project": a devotion a day, incorporating art, scripture, and music.
-"What to Give Up for Lent": some good advice
-"Lent 2014": a longer list of resources.

No comments: