Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Links - the Little Mermaid, Boggle, Child Sponsership, and more!

"Musings on Characters: the Little Mermaid":
I am currently in the middle of a two weekend run of The Little Mermaid Jr., a shortened version of the Broadway musical based on the Disney movie (loosely adapted from the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale). The songs are loads of fun but I have come to realize that the Disney version of the story is filled with characters who are either lousy people or lousy at their jobs.
"Boogle is Better Than Scrabble": so, so true.

"Want to Change the World? Sponser a Child":
"This is … amazing," was all I could mumble. We tried slicing the data different ways, but each showed significant educational improvements. You could beat this data senseless, and it was incapable of showing anything other than extremely large and statistically significant impacts on educational outcomes for sponsored children.
"Starship Mine": I found this terribly amusing. Which maybe says something about my taste. But . . . may it brighten your morning, too. :)
 Petulant Teen Picard will play his music as loud as he likes.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell
   






1 comment:

Chari said...

Okay.....so I found Starship Mine amusing, as well. :)

As for The Little Mermaid.......I have been saying that for years. I have never allowed it into my house for regular fare for the reasons the author of the blog states.....

the music is pretty wonderful......but what a brat and duh, King......the brat does not deserve to have a kingdom thrown over for her.....

They were allowed to watch it at my dad's house......about once a year......

Give me Belle anyday ;)