Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Notes: The Mycenaeans by Lord William Taylor

The MycenaeansThe Mycenaeans by William Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been skimming lots of books while researching the background of the Trojan War, but this one I read all the way through. I found it a great overview, in that it gave me a broad picture of the society and geography, but it didn't neglect interesting details either. The chapter on the slow unraveling of the mystery of Linear B was particularly fascinating - my admiration for the scholars who threw their intellectual resources into solving a puzzle they had no guarantee they'd be able to beat is huge!

View all my reviews

Note: This probably qualifies as one of those "dry academic works" people talk about. But if you're interested in Homer or the story of the Trojan War, you might at least give it a look-over - especially that chapter on Linear B! Real academic detective work, that.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: