Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Book Notes: "Cinch!" by Cynthia Sass

Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose InchesCinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches by Cynthia Sass
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently reread Cythia Sass' "Cinch!" and really liked it. The best part? Her "puzzle pieces" idea.

Though she supplies a ton of recipes, the most valuable concept in this book is her idea of building each meal out of five healthy components: produce, lean protein, whole grains, plant-based fat, and spices/seasonings. I love this! It makes it very simple to build a healthy lunch or dinner out of whatever I happen to have in the house.

I especially like all her ideas for using spices and seasonings. My husband calls me a "spice cook" because I'm attracted to recipes based on what spices are in them. Ginger and garlic? You've got my attention. Cumin and chili powder? I'm in. A pumpkin soup with sage and lemon? Mmmm. So this idea of spices and seasonings as a necessary component to the simplest of meals - even breakfasts! - is right up my alley.

In fact, I think my favorite meals in here are her breakfast ideas. I've tried her suggestion of adding mint to plain yogurt and layering it with berries spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Delicious! And I've tried adding fresh ginger to my smoothies - it's perfect! The ginger adds an incredibly fresh and bright taste.

So, if you're looking for a diet book with food that actually tastes good because it's, you know, ACTUALLY FOOD? This is your book.

View all my reviews

No comments: