Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crochet Works-in-Progress and Works-in-Hibernation

After my discovery of Ravelry, I spent a bit of time cataloging my works-in-progress with their Notebook feature. And I discovered that I am definitely not a one-project-at-a-time sort of crafter. In fact, I have started yet another project since uploading these pictures.

Here they are. First, the start of one of my daughters' Easter dresses:

I'm planning on a dress for each girl and a vest (orange, by request) for my son, for Easter.

Next, a hat for my husband, inspired by a very bad haircut that I gave him:


The haircut already looks okay and the hat isn't even done yet. I'm making it using self-striping sock yarn though, and I like how it's turning out.

Next is a hibernating project (i.e., I have no idea when or even if I will finish it; I'm not currently working on it), the beginning of an intarsia blanket. The part you see in the picture is the bottom of a crescent moon:


Next is the beginning of a rug, crocheted with a large Q hook:

It's waiting for the next stained t-shirt, since it's made out of scrap jersey fabric. I'll work on it as I have material.

This next is one of my favorites, a log-cabin scrapghan:


This is made with small balls of yarn left over from other projects. It took me awhile to figure out how to use the scraps so that they look pretty and not chaotic, but once I started thinking about patchwork quilts - those triumphs of frugality and beauty - my path became clear.

Once the balls of yarn are too small to even be used on the logcabin scrapghan, they go to this scrapghan, a simple ripple blanket:

Spacing the scraps with white seems to give them enough order that the variety of colors looks cheery instead of messy.

Any bits too small even for that go to Bess so that she can make embroidered pictures on plastic canvas. Waste not, want not.

This is a Boteh scarf, destined for a friend this Christmas. I love the geometric feel of the shapes curving towards each other:


Next is my first lace project, a starry scarf from Crochet So Fine. Crochet is really lace-making at its heart, so I wanted to try a project that embraced that:

It looks all furry and squiggly now, but it'll have sharp points and definition after it's blocked and pressed.

Finally, one more work-in-hibernation, more intarsia, this time a Celtic knot:



I hope to finish this one at some point, but I'm not working on it now. Intarsia takes so much picky concentration, and all that single-crochet, ugh! But I do like the results.

Next time, I'm posting a finished object. I really do have one! Promise! :) But, I'm curious, am I the only one that has more than one craft project going at a time? And, if you do have more than one craft project going at a time, do you also read more than one book at a time? I'm curious if there's any correlation.

Peace of Christ to you,

Jessica Snell

8 comments:

kate ortiz said...

always to both the craft and the book questions! i currently have a pair of baby girl pants waiting to be finished, random knitted squares that should be made into something, pillow forms sitting next to the fabric for covers, and some yarn sitting next me so i can practice some granny squares.

and i think the current book tally is 5. any more than five and all progress seems to some to a halt.

Tienne said...

I don't have multiple projects going, but I absolutely read more than one book at a time. Right now I'm in the middle of about six.

With crafts, though, because I'm so bad at it (still learning to sew like a beginner) it takes so much effort to figure out what I'm supposed to do next that I really can't concentrate on more than one at a time.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Every now and then I have more than one book *technically* going at one time. But usually that means that I really just don't want to finish the first one.

And I don't craft if I can help it. :) Except every now and again, for Christmas presents, if I get inspired. But always, always, always one at a time!

lasselanta said...

I think I currently have three projects in progress-- more if you count the ones I have planned and bought yarn for, but not actually started. Yes, I read more than one book at a time too. :-)

I am thoroughly intrigued by the log cabin scrapghan. Are you whipstitching the sections together, or crocheting them directly onto each other? Are you able to work it with yarns of different gauges (and how different?)?

Jessica Snell said...

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It's interesting to see how it lines up. :)

Sharon, the log cabin scrapghan is worked in squares. So, I make the central square first, then crochet the strips directly onto it, and each other, working my way outward. But the larger squares will be stitched together.

And I am using yarns of different weight, but not THAT different. I think most of them are sport or worsted. Some of them were inherited or thrifted, so I don't have proper information on all of them.

Thanks for asking!

MomCO3 said...

How fun!

Amanda said...

I hope I can learn to do that one day . . .

Katie K said...

What fun projects! I'm especially excited to see how the T-shirt rug and the starry scarf turn out. I am also a multi-tasking crafter and I didn't used to but now, technically, I do read multiple books at once. I currently have three different pairs of socks on three different sets of needles and a few forgotten (nearly abandoned) projects stuffed in my closet. I also have pieces of fabric that are all cut out and ready to be sewn together into all kinds of things just sitting in my sewing bin. If I think too hard about it all, it drives me crazy.