1. I think it's cool that my big kids' current favorite read-aloud is Attack of the Deranged Killer Mutant Monster Snow Goons. I'm not really sure it matters that they and I snicker at different parts.
3. My husband wants to know what we're planning on doing for Lent. I was surprised, because it seems a little early, but he made a good point: it'd be nice to think about it for awhile rather than scrambling to come up with a good plan on Ash Wednesday Eve.
4. This will be the first year in six years that I won't have been pregnant or nursing during Lent. I'm realizing that I could actually do real fasting. I'm not sure whether I'm excited or intimidated.
5. Is it a good thing to blog about fasting? On the one hand, blogging about celebrating the liturgical year has been really helpful, and I've gotten lots of great ideas from comments and from reading all y'all's lovely blogs. On the other hand, we're not supposed to run around saying "I'm fasting!" What do you think?
6. I just bought the first season of Dr. Who (the ninth Doctor) with some birthday money. I'm so excited to watch it again. I haven't been so excited about a TV show since I was a teenager watching Star Trek for the first time. This show is so, so good. Starts a bit clunky, but becomes absolutely jaw-dropping by the end. (Wow, I just went to Amazon to find that link, and it's gone up in price just since I bought it!)
7. I blogged about Twilight awhile back, and I have a recommendation for anyone who wants to see the movie because it's a cultural phenomenon, but doesn't want to see the movie because, well, it's Twilight. Buy the Riff Trax.
If you've every seen Mystery Science Theater (and if you haven't, well, start with Cave Dwellers), it's some of the same guys who've gotten together and made audio tracks of themselves making fun of various bad movies. You play the Riff Trax MP3 on your computer while you watch the movie on your TV. It's hilarious. It takes something like Twilight from painful because of all the free-floating teenage angst to painful because your belly hurts so much from laughing so hard. A sample:
(Not a paid endorsement or anything. I was just introduced to Riff Trax by my brother and husband and couldn't stop laughing, so I thought I'd pass it on. Riff Trax also got me through the so-completely-terrible-it's-not-even-funny Star Trek 5.)
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.
peace of Christ to you,