Monday, November 30, 2009

nursing mother sculpture


My husband took this picture for me at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. We've been there many times - we started going there together with a group of friends before we fell in love, then we went while we were dating, then after we were married, and now we go with our kids. But I don't remember seeing this before. Or perhaps I did, and I just wasn't at a stage of life where I would have noticed. But isn't it lovely? It's done in bronze, and the plaque beside it said it used to hang on the door of a nursery armoire.

If you want to see more detail, I believe you can click on it to make it larger.

Last time we went, I also got to sit for awhile and stare at my favorite painting in the world. The link doesn't do it justice; the real thing is huge, and what's striking about it is how all the activity in the foreground only serves to draw your eye to the small, bright church spire in the background. In the background, but nonetheless, at the center of the whole world. It's an amazing painting. In real life that church spire is astonishingly bright and clear. I also love the woman walking on the bridge, and those huge trees bending down towards the water.

And now I need to make a plan to go back there again. Man, I love that place.

peace of Christ to you,

Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love the Huntington too. When I was in Grad School at UCI, we had a prof who would take us there to see the rare books but then we always enjoyed the rest of the gardens and the exhibits. We have a Chaucer print from there framed in our living room. I think it was my first in-person viewing of a Cassatt, also lovely mother-child paintings, but I missed this sculpture. Sadly, children were far from my mind at the time.

Whenever family would come for a visit we'd take them to the Huntington. What a wonderful place, thanks for sharing and bringing back so many fond memories.