Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What was in our CSA basket this week

Actually, last week. But isn't it pretty?

Here it all is out of the basket:

We got:
-flowers
-red leaf lettuce
-mystery green (chard?)
-arugula (I think . . .)
-basil
-cilantro
-celery
-carrots
-summer squash
-butternut squash
-yams
-potatoes
-onion
-cucumbers
-tomatoes
-green beans
-oranges
-lemons
-apples
-persimmons

The persimmons, apples, oranges, cucumbers, lettuce and arugula became snacks.

Menu-wise, here's what we did and are doing. The onion, potatoes, carrots and celery went into this yummy turkey soup (doubled it and froze half). I used ham instead of Canadian bacon.

Some of the basil went into pasta over the weekend, and some of it went into bruschetta chicken, along with some tomato. (I also chopped the summer squash up finely and put it in the pasta; I will give it this compliment: it was unobjectionable.)

The rest of the tomato was used in fish tacos with chipotle cream from this book. Even my husband, who's less than enthusiastic at the thought of eating fish, liked them.

Some of the cilantro went into the tacos (I think) and the rest of it went into picnic caviar (an absolutely amazing vegetarian recipe; I can't even count how many times we've eaten it).

I'm planning on sticking the greens and the beans into this Indonesian Beef Curry with Coconut Rice (made with less jalapeno than called for for the kids' sake). Btw, don't skip the coconut rice; it totally makes the meal. Also, you can make it with plain ol' ground beef; you don't need "lean top round, thinly sliced". My local grocery often has ground beef for $0.99/lb discounted for quick sale, and as long as I have room in the freezer, I always snap it up and freeze it. That's what I plan on using.

The yams and the butternut squash are destined for creamy squash and apple soup, to be served with cornbread.

Oh, and finally, some rind from lemons and oranges went into this (soooooo good, much-complimented) spiked cider, served at a party. You can use normal apple juice and normal brandy, and it still turns out just fine. I added a few extra peppercorns and allspice berries though, to make it a bit spicier, as well as putting in a bit more juice (and brandy - but not much more, I think). I also added some cardamom pods because, hey, cardamom! It was super-yummy.

Well, that's it. That's our CSA for the fortnight. I'm really enjoying the challenge of figuring out what to do with the produce each week. But I think I need a field guide to greens.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This looks so good!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I can vouch for the turkey soup being amazing - I ate it at Jessica's house and then made it myself a few days later. Loved it!