Monday, June 29, 2009

why our parish is staying: the diversified parish

I explained in this post why my husband and I are leaving the Episcopal Church (TEC). It’s pretty straight-forward: TEC is heretical and we’re not, and there’s another Anglican home for Americans now.

Where it gets weird is the reason that the rest of our orthodox parish isn’t leaving with us. Our parish has come up with a novel plan, and I have to be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn’t believe it. But before I tell you about the novel plan, let me give you some background.

Our parish is a pretty unique one, in being full of both young and old, and full of life. About thirty years ago, it split in half over women’s ordination (I think – I wasn’t around, so I’m going by what I remember being told). Our parish is made up of the people who stayed. Then, ten years ago, there was an influx of young people from the local Christian university. My husband and I were some of the first of them. This greatly increased the size of the parish, especially when many of us young folk (as young people do) got married and started having kids. (Lots of toddlers and babies at our church; it’s great.)

We’re also one of the few (the only?) orthodox parishes in our diocese. Our bishop tolerates us, but won’t ordain our candidates for the priesthood (with one exception).

It’s also a parish with a lot going on – a very strong music ministry, lots of devotional groups, a book group, an artists’ group, food outreaches, etc. And people are amazing about helping their fellow parishioners when there’s a need. Our family’s seen it ourselves when we had our long hospital experience last year – so many people visited and brought meals or helped watch the kids. I’ve seen other people here help each other with housing, with food, and with many other things. That’s the very healthy side of our parish, and if everyone seems to put a lot of value in that sense of community, I can see why. It is valuable.

So, when the point came when a big group of people (at least thirty or forty of us) realized that something had to be done in response to TEC’s heresy, the problem was that there was a strong feeling that whatever the response was, we had to make sure that we didn’t break up the parish.

You can see the problem already, right? If not breaking up the parish is The Most Important Thing, then our response to TEC’s heresy is going to be dictated not by theology but, in a real way, by sentiment.

I have to stop myself here, because I want to make sure this is understood: even though I think that valuing community over theology is a wrong ordering (church community exists because of theology, and not the other way around), I want to make it clear that the community that’s being held up here really is a good one. I don’t agree with the mistake they’re making, but I understand it. As someone who knows she’s losing that community, I really understand it. As Chesterton said, the way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost. In that way, I think I understand the value of our community more than anyone who’s getting to stay. I’m already in mourning.

I guess what I’m saying is that our parish’s novel plan came into existence because of something real, community, even if that something real isn’t the most important real thing.

So, what is the plan? The plan my parish is currently going with is called “a diversified parish”. The plan is to have those called to stay Episcopal stay Episcopal, those called to be Anglican (i.e., join ACNA), join ACNA, and those called to become Catholic become Roman Catholic. So far, not so weird, right? We should all go where the Lord calls us.

Here’s the weird part: the plan is to have everyone go affiliate with his planned denomination/church branch, but then stay right in our TEC parish and all worship together.

So the Roman Catholics? Will be attending mass at a church where they can’t take communion. The ACNA Anglicans? Will be under a TEC bishop. The Episcopalians? Well, actually, for them, nothing changes.

It’s been said that this is a plan that will appease everyone’s conscience, because those who can’t stay in TEC won’t technically be in TEC. In reality, their names will not be on any TEC parish roll, but they will be worshipping in a TEC church, tithing to a TEC church and under the spiritual authority of a TEC bishop. Which, I think, is still being in TEC. So, we’re being offered a church that won’t be our church except that we’ll be using it like it was our church – and what was the point of “leaving” again?

It’s even harder for the Roman Catholics, because they can’t even lawfully take communion at our church.

I understand that this “diversified parish” plan comes out of the desire not to lose even one person from our parish. Again, it’s a laudable desire. But it becomes less laudable when its elevated out of its proper place.

The problem is that it ignores fundamental theological differences. I hope and trust that someday, when Jesus comes back, the divisions between us all will disappear. But today, I am being dishonest if I say I think the Pope is the spiritual head of the church on Earth. My Roman Catholic friends are being dishonest if they say they assent to the 39 Articles. Sure, either I’m wrong or they are (or maybe both). But in the meantime, it behooves each of us to act in accordance with our best reasoning, trusting that God gave us our minds in order to use them. In the end, we will each give an account of how we used them, and how honestly.

I think that this “diversified parish” makes us all act out a lie: it makes us all act like we agree with each other when we don’t. I’d rather they be the best Roman Catholics they can be while I am the best Anglican I can be, because this would be honest Christianity on both our parts. Furthermore, how can we ever really discuss our differences and come to agreement unless we’re honest about what the differences are?

(I would note that my friends who disagree with me would point out that there isn't any confusion in this unity, because no one is pretending that the Roman Catholics aren't Roman Catholic, or that the Anglicans aren't Anglican, etc. And, again, I agree that no one is lying about it in their words - they're being very above-board and honest about the plan. Again, I'm referring to a sort of self-deception about whether the plan actually does what they say it does, not any kind of active lack of honesty.)

I’m very afraid that this “diversified parish” is making my parish just as disastrously inclusive as the rest of TEC.

As someone called to leave TEC, this plan does not “satisfy my conscience”. As long as my parish is in TEC, and I am part of my parish, I am part of TEC. Calling myself an ACNA member while attending a TEC parish is living a lie, no matter how comforting the lie is. How can I have my heart in one place and my body (and money) in another without being fundamentally divided?

Again, I do not say that the members of my parish who are endorsing this plan are purposeful liars. I know them. They are being above-board with their plan; in fact, my understanding is that there is an article coming out about the “diversified parish” within the month in a major media outlet. (Actually, that’s why I’m blogging about it now; I refrained before because I hoped that the plan might change.) I don’t think there’s any deliberate deception about what the plan is; I just think that the plan itself is a sort of self-deception. It’s telling ourselves this wonderful thing: “There is no difference between being R. Catholic or Anglican or Episcopalian – not one great enough to keep us from all existing together in one parish”, in hopes that if we say it often enough, it will become true.

I think that saying it doesn’t make it so. In many ways, I hope I’m wrong, because I love my parish, and I don’t want it to self-destruct. I still hope (hope, hope, hope) that my parish will find its way clear to leave TEC, and to leave it all together. I hope their glorious dream – of holding this good community together – is indeed possible.

But I think there is a problem in saying, “TEC isn’t right. ACNA isn’t right. Only we are right.” I think the question to ask is, “why us? Why us hundred or two hundred people, out of the entire Anglican world? Why do we think we are the only ones who have The Solution?”

So. That’s the weird reason that we’re one of the few people out of our orthodox parish who are leaving TEC. Because everyone else thinks they can leave and stay at the same time. Again, I hope they’re right. But I think they’re wrong.

And I know it’s not over yet. I still have hope that we can all leave together, the Lord willing. But right now, it’s really, really weird.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. I should also add that there's a group of people in my parish who are planning on leaving, but are trying to leave more slowly, in order to make a way for more people to follow them. Adam and I are planning on leaving at the end of the summer both in order to participate in a local church plant and because when we felt called to leave, we felt called to leave this year. I hope great good things for my friends who are trying a slower method - they may well have the right of it, and we'll be at our parish through the end of the summer, so who knows? Maybe we'll get to help them.

12 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

I'm an Episcopal priest who doesn't feel that TEC is "heretical" but I'm not here to argue with about that. But I find this "diversified parish" idea intriguing. On the one hand, I agree with you that it is missing the point in some ways. What good is it to call yourself Catholic if you aren't worshiping in the way laid out by the Catholic hierarchy? What difference does it make to align yourself with ACNA if you still worship in TEC? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

OTOH, the desire to maintain community despite some theological differences is characteristically Anglican--living in the tension of the via media. It's what Elizabeth I was about in the Elizabethan compromise. So there is a precedent of sorts.

But then, if you are going to be willing to disagree, why go off and join some other group anyway?

And how does a priest minister to a congregation that is so "diversified?" I'll be curious to see how this turns out.

I'm also curious about why you are waiting to leave your church if you are so disillusioned with it? Why not leave now?

BTW, I read your blog not to be critical but because I admire the way you shape your family's life of faith. And I'm always interested in seeing things from a different perspective.

Jessica Snell said...

Hi Rev Dr. Mom!

Firstly, I'm glad you feel free to read here even though you don't agree - and thanks for the compliment at the end. I read stuff I don't agree with too - sometimes I'm even really weird and read a feminist blog and then click straight over to a patriarchal blog, just to enjoy the weird, swoopy feeling of cognitive dissonance. :D

Anyway, I'm not sure how our priest is going to minister to a diversified parish. I know that he's encouraging the R. Catholics to attend mass elsewhere as well. Basically, they'll be under two priests, one Episcopal and one R. Catholic. I'm pretty sure a similar situation is being sought for the ACNA members - some sort of dual leadership.

I think that the necessity of having two priests - one ACNA and one TEC - is itself proof that the diversified parish isn't one parish after all. I guess what it comes down to is that I don't think one parish can declare all the divisions at an end. Now if all the churches in both ACNA and TEC - or in both TEC and Catholicism! - decided that we were all one church, then I think you'd have grounds to say that we were! (And God speed the day.) But, as I see it, what my parish is doing is declaring that all divisions are at an end, without any of the three larger churches (TEC, ACNA, Rome) agreeing with us. That's problematic.

Then, to answer your question of why we're not leaving immediately . . . we're not leaving immediately because we want to leave well. I don't think there's a great way to leave a church, but it seems like there are better ones and worse ones. We don't want to just disappear. We want to let our friends know we're going, and make sure we've explained why, and we want a chance to say goodbye.

Part of it is because we owe them - we've been here ten years, and they're the ones who taught us to love Anglicanism. Part of it is because we love them - we want to let them know how much we care, and just not showing up one Sunday doesn't see to do that. And part of it goes along with the loving them: we think they're going with a bad plan, and we hope we might convince them to change their minds. Sort of like when your friends are running off a cliff: you'd be a bad friend if you didn't hang around long enough to at least say, "hey, stop, it's a cliff!", you know?

So, I hope that answers your questions. Thanks for asking them.

Nathan Jones said...

Well said, Jessica... Communion (in the fullest sacramental sense) really is the glue of a parish. Hard to keep things together without sharing in the body of Christ every Sunday. Good luck at your new parish.

Hope you and Adam are doing well.

Jessica Snell said...

Thanks, Nathan. All things considered, we are doing well. I hope and yours are too!

Amber said...

OK, that is just seriously weird. I have a hard time seeing this working out for very long, largely for the reason Nathan mentioned in his comment. Sure, you have a great community at your parish and all, but it isn't the the only great parish on the face of the earth - and if you have to bend over backwards to try to keep the parish together in some strange united but not really united way it just doesn't seem worth it. It seems like it would eventually fall apart as people slowly find community in other parishes that they can be in full communion. Why prolong the pain?

I'm particularly troubled by the Catholics who would be staying. That just doesn't make sense, except as a transition. It is too bad though that the Anglican Catholic liturgy isn't in wider use though, that would probably hit the spot for them. I don't think it is in use in CA at all though, which is unfortunate. If it was I'd love to go! I love my Latin Chant Mass, but I also miss the Anglican liturgy at times too.

I wish you and your family the best as you venture forth - and I applaud you for what you are doing. I meant to comment on your last post about this, but I never managed to do so. Sure, I think crossing the Tiber is the best way to go (because I'm completely biased here) but I think the ACNA is an exciting development. And sure, it isn't perhaps as well organized and perfect as some might wish... but if everyone sits on the fence waiting for it to suddenly become exactly what they think it should be, it will never end up getting anywhere!

I've enjoyed reading your posts about this subject - the Anglican church, being the place of my adult conversion and baptism, will always hold a special place in my heart... even if God did call me to leave it.

Ruthie said...

I find this fascinating; thank you for writing about it. . .

Ma Torg said...

That is incredibly bizarre. It seems like playing with fire and placing the community as an 'idol' almost.

It must be very heartbreaking for you on so many levels. I am very sorry.

Anne said...

Many prayers as you make this transition. Its such an interesting and troubling time in the church. I'm dying of curiosity as to how it will all turn out.

Susan (Aged P.) said...

Well, Jessica, this is a very well-considered and well-written post. I really appreciate your clarity -- and your charity. In fact I would like to talk with you about where you are going to be worshiping, and to explain a little bit about our background.

Thanks,

Susan Dennis

Paula Velez said...

Your church's plan is a perfect example of how hard it is for us to figure out what to do when people who care about each other don't agree. Must be heartbreaking and difficult transition to go through, yet I agree that trying to let everyone join different groups and still stay together, really doesn't make practical sense. Its kind of like a couple trying to get a divorce and stay married at the same time. Not sure its possible.

Thanks for sharing.
Paula

Jessica Snell said...

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks.

Amber, it does feel to me like it's just going to prolong the pain. It's hard to watch.

Paula, it does feel a lot like trying to live together after a divorce. That seems like an apt analogy to me.

Again, everyone, thanks for the kind comments.

Jessica Snell said...

Susan, I'd love to talk to you sometimea bout where we're attending!