Wednesday, June 10, 2009

even if there isn't any Narnia

I haven’t written a lot of specifics about our church situation, but I have some friends, I think, who don’t understand why we’re leaving. And even if they don’t end up agreeing with me, I would like them to understand.

I suppose I’ll start with the big reason: the Episcopal Church of the United States (ECUSA) isn’t Christian anymore. It does not, as a whole, uphold, teach or defend Christian doctrine. The biggest and most newsworthy example, of course, is its stance on homosexuality. To that I say: though I’m not surprised that it’s a sexual sin that ended up being the big deal (sex is like that, very personal, very all-emcompassing), the point is that any sin would do. Once you start saying that sin is not sin, you do people who are tempted to that sin a great evil: you keep them from God.

We can’t come to God without repenting, and when you tell people their sin isn’t sin, well, they can’t repent of it. For example: I’m prone to sloth. If I had priests who constantly told me that diligence isn’t really something to shoot for, that God didn’t expect me to be quick to obey Him, etc., they would keep me from repenting and confessing when I fall into sloth. And that would keep my heart far from Jesus. In effect, that’s what the leaders of ECUSA are doing when they lie about homosexuality being sin: they are keeping people from Jesus. That is the problem. That is the grave evil.

(And, I hasten to add: repentance isn’t all we need. What we really all need is the great grace of our Lord, who responds to our slightest movement towards Him, eager to forgive us and heal us. Of every sin. Of any sin. He does this. He is amazing. Praise Him.)

There are other things, things that don’t hit the news as often. The leadership of ECUSA regularly sues the pants off of other Christians. They fudge about the resurrection. Etc. These are big deals too, but I think fewer people outside of ECUSA know about them.

In my own parish, our candidates for ordination have been denied ordination. Why? Basically, because they are Christians. Though many in my parish argue that the larger problems of ECUSA “haven’t come in the red doors”, I would argue that in this, they have. Those called to holy orders have been denied the right to exercise their vocation; for them, at least, it is inside the red doors. For the rest of us . . . well, I might have a good priest now, but if my diocese won’t ordain Christian priests, what will my children have?

For a long time, my husband and I stayed Episcopalian because we saw no way to be American Anglicans without being in ECUSA. ECUSA was the Anglican church in the States, so we stayed.

But now, there is ACNA – the Anglican Church of North America. This is an amazing work of God. How often do scattered churches come together? Never, to my knowledge. ACNA is a coalition of all of the break-away orthodox Anglican groups in the States, and they are forming a new province. They’ve come together, are working through their differences, and are making a place for faithful Anglicans in the States. It is a heroic effort, worthy of song. That is where we want to be.

There are folks in my parish who say, “well, it’s not ready yet. It’s still in formation. We’ll wait till it’s done.” I understand that. After all, I didn’t decide to leave till this year, because I didn’t see all those breakaway groups as a place to go. But if there comes a time when such a movement hits critical mass, the time is now. And if you don’t think it has hit critical mass, don’t you want to be one of the people who help get it there?

As I write all this, I have to make something clear: I love my parish. Not least because it is the place (the people) who taught me to love Anglicanism. I wouldn’t know about the Book of Common Prayer without my parish. Wouldn’t know about the church year. Wouldn’t know the theology of the 39 Articles. Wouldn’t know the beauty of the liturgy. I am deeply indebted to my parish.

It is because of all the things I’ve learned in my parish that I am leaving my parish.

But “leaving” is putting it badly. As I said: I love Anglicanism. As far as I can see, it is the best expression of the Christian life. I want to remain Anglican. But if I stay in ECUSA, I won’t be in an Anglican church. I won’t be in a Christian church.

The truth is that ECUSA has walked away from Anglicanism. They’ve chosen to leave, and I dare go no further with them. The question is not, “are you staying with the church?” but “how far away are you willing to go with them before you turn around and come home?”

Yes, ACNA could fail. Maybe it isn’t the thing I hope it is. But here, I will say with Puddleglum, “I want to live like a Narnian, even if there isn’t any Narnia.”

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

5 comments:

Amy said...

A true leap of faith...

I, too, refuse to be a part of an 'organization' that is no longer Christian. Fortunately, we have had great support leaving as a diocese in those who chose to go with us. I've left behind many friends who don't understand why we felt so strongly the need to leave when we did - who live in fear of the failure of the ACNA. I have a great deal of peace now that I don't have to live with the heresey - I don't have to own it by my association with it.

Continuing to pray for you and your family...

Kerry said...

Extraordinarily well-said, Jessica! I'm liking to this!

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

We left in 2002. It was really easy for people to say we were leaving over the "gay" bishop, but that was not our reason. It was a symptom of a greater problem. The Tradition of the Church, the Scriptures, the ECUSA's own rules were being ignored and despised. At some point, one has to ask why we have them at all if we do not believe they hold any authority.

My husband and I had a clear mandate from the Lord to stay when we had trouble in our own parish and diocese. We were led to stay, fight the good fight, do what needed to be done. We also had a clear message to get in the ark and save our family when it was time to leave.

Rich and I could have survived the bad teaching, but we could not leave our children to be taught heresy and rank apostasy. On top of that, we would have had to countermand and correct what they were taught in Sunday school, in sermons and in other catechesis, which would have meant undermining their trust in the authority of the Church. Eventually, they would have asked us "Why do I have to do/believe B when we ignore A?" That is not something we wanted to do to them and their faith.

We still struggle a bit, as we wish for a reunification of the Church and feel a bit out of place in all churches. If Rome and Byzantium ever reunite, we will be there.

~liz said...

my husband and i decided to leave for much different reasons (similar, but different...we were in the pittsburgh diocese under bishop duncan) but have held fast to the liturgical life in our own family. it's because we also feel that the liturgal (anglican/episcopal) worship is the best way to live out a christian life. although we don't worship liturgically on sunday mornings (and Holy Days) any more, we try to do so in our home. :)

At A Hen's Pace said...

Great post, Jessica. "Any sin will do"--YES! It's not the "gay issue" it's the "sin issue" and how we handle that biblically, with repentance and grace.

~Jeanne