Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"See that ye fall not out by the way"

I'm very slowly reading through St. Francis de Sales' "Introduction to the Devout Life" in the evenings when I brush and floss my teeth. I recently came across a section that's been running through my head since I read it, because it struck me that the Lord wanted me to think about it in the context of how I mother. I thought I'd share it, because all toddlers and preschooler are annoying at least part-time, and I thought there were probably other moms out there who struggle with anger when they discipline their children.

Here it is:

When the Patriarch Joseph sent his brethren back from Egypt to his father's house, he only gave them one counsel, "See that ye fall not out by the way." And so, my child, I say to you. This miserable life is but the road to a blessed life; do not let us fall out by the way with one another; let us go on with the company of our brethren gently, peacefully, and kindly. Most emphatically I say it, If possible, fall out with no one, and on no pretext whatever suffer your heart to admit anger and passion. St. James says, plainly and unreservedly, that "the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." Of course it is a duty to resist evil and to repress the faults of those for whom we are responsible, steadily and firmly, but gently and quietly . . . Correction given in anger, however tempered by reason, never has so much effect as that which is given altogether without anger; for the reasonable soul being naturally subject to reason, it is a mere tyranny which subjects it to passion, and wherever reason is led by passion it becomes odious, and its just rule obnoxious. When a monarch visits a country peaceably the people are gratified and flattered; but if the king has to take his armies through the land, even on behalf of the public welfare, his visit is sure to be unwelcome and harmful, because, however strictly military discipline may be enforced, there will always be some mischief done to the people. Just so when reason prevails, and administers reproof, correction, and punishment in a calm spirit, although it be strict, everyone approves and is content. But if reason be hindered by anger and vexation . . . there will be more fear than love, and reason itself will be despised and resisted." (emphasis mine)

I think somewhere I picked up the idea that it was good to let my children see my anger at their misdeeds, because it showed them that their bad behavior was a serious matter. But I have been rethinking this, especially in light of what de Sales says here. Perhaps that is true of very serious things - I don't think it's bad to let them see how horrified I am when they almost run in front of a car, say (Lord keep us from that!) - but as a general rule, oughtn't I to be controlling my passions the way I want them to control theirs? What they should notice is how seriously I take doing the right thing, not how seriously I take my emotions. As de Sales says, "a calm spirit, though it be strict [and everyone] is content."

Anyone else thought about this?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

7 comments:

Amy said...

I think about this all the time! The problem is usually controlling myself now that it has become habit. Lord, give me strength!

TwoSquareMeals said...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Now that our oldest is 4 1/2, we are really seeing the negative results of parenting out of anger. It is amazing how much better my kids respond to the same thing said in a kind and firm way instead of in anger. I am just reading Positive Discipline, which gives some great ideas, though I am not wholeheartedly on board with the philosophy.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that quote. Good food for thought. And I can't help wondering...how do you read while you are brushing and flossing? Just curious. I'm always looking for more reading time!

bashtree said...

Thank you for sharing this, Jessica. I find it applies in my own life, as well.

MomCO3 said...

I needed to hear [read] this today. And yesterday and probably tomorrow, too. Thank you.
Annie

Amber said...

"but as a general rule, oughtn't I to be controlling my passions the way I want them to control theirs?" - Yes, exactly!

I find with the little ones at least that things go much better if I *always* keep my cool no matter what. Even in dangerous situations, the respond much better and remember much better when I speak quietly and firmly. And I also find that so long as I'm doing this, I get much better behavior from the children as well.

I do find though with my seven year old and certain situations that I have to show my anger at her actions - particularly repeated and perhaps even habitual wrong-doings - in order for her to truly change and repent. I also have to make a particular point of linking her wrong-doing to sin and the importance of real repentance. But I try to use this sparingly, and only as a last resort. And I try to make sure I am not following the dictates of wrath and passion, but instead righteous anger. That's the hard part!

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

I am so there with you! In my defense, I had a craptastic upbringing, filled with abuse and dysfunction. That is my reason, but it is no excuse. I have felt the irony of yelling at the children that WE DO NOT YELL IN THIS HOUSE!!!

One thing I've started doing (sometimes) is to speak very quietly when I want their attention. They usually quiet down to hear what I am saying. I will not admit how long it took me to realize that I did not have to be angry with them when I disciplined them, that it could wait a little until I cooled down.

I think it is part of what you were saying, that somehow I don't think they will realize how serious something is unless they get yelled at or lectured for a decade. Watching our eldest's assistant coach at a game recently reminded me of how you can redirect a child or change his behavior without being upset or making him fearful.

You have no idea how ashamed I am to admit that I needed that reminder. I have been struggling with anger my whole life. Especially knowing the roots, I do not want to do to my children what was done to me.

Unknown said...

Susannah Wesley would agree that controlling our temper at the little daily things is valuable in teaching the children to control theirs! sorry Jess, I hadn't read Susannah when you were little!
Mom