Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Getting Ready for Palm Sunday, and a Last Few Lenten Links

Hi folks!

I'm so excited - we get to go back to Sunday mass this week! It's been a long winter, but it's almost over. Our kids are really excited about seeing their friends again, and about processing around church with their palms.

One thing I'm doing to get ready for Palm Sunday is teaching our (older two) kids the chorus to "All Glory, Laud and Honor", which is what we sing while we process into church. There are two many verses for them to learn the whole hymn quite yet, but the chorus is only two lines long. I think it's an especially good one for children to learn, because it actually mentions children in the chorus:

"All glory, laud and honor to thee, Redeemer, King,
To whom the lips of children make sweet Hosannas! ring."

I spent some time at dinner last night explaining what some of the harder words mean to my oldest.

Is anyone else doing anything special to get ready for Palm Sunday?


Also, though Lent is almost over, here are a few more seasonal links:

-Amy at Splendor in the Ordinary talks about spring cleaning, and its liturgical meaning. I like the idea of getting everything done early, so you can concentrate on the Triduum.
-It's probably a little late for it this year, but to put in your list for next year, check out these Lenten fruit trees from On the Old Path - good idea for doing Lent with children!
-Also a little late for this year, but something I want to try next year: these annunciation shadow boxes from Chez Ouiz.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

3 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I read Amy's post a couple of days ago and was inspired. Like her, I have to start early in order to have a hope of getting it done by next Thursday, so we're starting today! It is such a nice day for cleaning, too, breezy and pleasant to have the house thrown open (and upside down). :)

I'd love to teach my kids All Glory Laud and Honor, but I have two who can't talk and one who likes to be contrary. Oh well. Maybe next year!

Ouiz said...

Thank you so much for the link to my blog! We had a lot of fun making the shadow boxes.

And thank you for the great idea to teach kids the hymn "All Glory, Laud and Honor." I've had them memorize poems, so why not hymns? This was truly one of those "why didn't I think of that???" moments. THANK YOU for the great suggestion!

Amy said...

Thanks for linking to my post. Now if my family can just stop passing this stomach bug around maybe I'll be able to get to some real cleaning. I'm encouraged soften by your blog. Happy Easter!