Wednesday, April 22, 2009

on homeschooling, part III

Well, a few weeks ago, our family went to the “kindergarten round-up” at our local elementary school, in our continuing effort to discern whether we should send our oldest to public school next year or not.

I honestly thought that once we went and heard about the programs and toured the classrooms, that our minds would be made up, and that I’d be able to send Bess there with a light heart.

“I thought this would help me know what to do!” I cried to my husband, as we left the multi-purpose room and headed towards the classrooms.

“I think it has,” he said, “it just didn’t help you the way you wanted it to.”

And that’s the truth of it. Sitting through that kindergarten round-up meeting felt like sitting through a meeting where they were trying to sell me time shares. High-pressure pushing of a product that really didn’t sound like anything I’d want to buy. “We have kindergarteners publishing stories! We have third-graders starting businesses! Does anyone need the before-school daycare to open at 6:30 rather than 7? Make sure you read to your child; make sure you give her a good breakfast and we’ll do the rest!” (I paraphrase, but indulge me.)

And then there was the assurance that being an all-day kindergarten meant that they had time “to do the fun stuff too”. Which made me wonder, what do you think we do at home?

All in all, it felt like they were trying to be everything to their students, when what I wanted them to be was just a school. I'm okay sending my kids to a school. I'm not okay sending my kids to an whole other life.

And I know that many kids probably, sadly, do need the school to be everything to them. But my kids have parents, and while I’m glad to let someone else school them, I am not willing to have someone else parent them. That is my job. More than that, it’s my vocation and my duty and my joy.

So, we are going to homeschool Bess for kindergarten.

Is this a decision to homeschool all our kids for all time? No. I still think that they will end up in the public school system at some point. I still think there is great value in learning to navigate through life among people who don’t believe what you believe or act the way you wish that they would act.

But there are two big reasons why this is not the year for that for us.

1) Bess. Much of it comes down to this one child and what would be best for her as a person, this year. While I think she would do well in a three-hour kindergarten program (like they used to have), I think that she would do badly in this high-intensity, all-day environment. She’s the sort who would get revved-up and not come down easily. Day after day after day. I think that being gone almost as long each day as her father is gone for work would wear her down. She would also be, because of her birthday, one of the younger children in the program, which is not an enviable position. Finally, because of our crazy year this last year, I think she could benefit from at least one more year at home – a year where we don’t have two infants taking up an inordinate share of her parents’ energy.
2) I’ve long believed public schooling can be done well, and can be done poorly. I’ve also long believed that homeschool can be done well, and can be done poorly. This year, I think we would do public schooling worse than we would do homeschooling. With three young children at home, I simply could not be the involved parent that I think public school parents need to be. It’s quite possible that once the twins are five or older I might put all the kids in public school, because then I will be free to volunteer in their classrooms, go to events, conference easily with teachers, etc. But I can’t do that right now. This year, I would make a better homeschool parent than I would a public school parent.

So now? Now I have a lot of research to do! I’m glad we’ve made this decision now, so that I have time to read up on all of this, to look into extra-curriculars in our neighborhood, and to think and pray about how best to do this new venture. It’s convenient that in California schooling is not compulsory till age 6, so I can make this year’s experiment without any restrictions. There are no official lines that I must toe, though I plan on making sure that Bess is competent in all the areas outlined in the California education guidelines for kindergarteners. I don’t think that will be hard, as she’s already halfway there. But it’s nice to have a year to try and get our footing, and see if this is something that will work for us, without there being any huge penalty if we fail.

So, if you have any advice for where to start (right now I’m reading Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense, and have The Well-Trained Mind also on my reading list), I’d be glad to hear it.

Also, for any of the homeschool moms who read this who are also writers, or who pursue another avocation, I’m very interested in how you find time for that avocation in the middle of homsechooling. It does seem to me like it won’t be much different from how I find time for it now (not as often as I like, and only with great self-discipline and sacrifice), since I’ll just be replacing some play time with some study time (and those two things aren’t that different at this age), but I’m aware that every time you add something to your life, something else must go to make room for it. What are the trade-offs? How do you make them? Any tips?

Thanks again to everyone who commented and conversed with me as we made this decision. I don’t know where this path is going to lead in the years to come, but I’m glad to know what we’re doing this year. I hope we do it well. I think, with God’s help, we will.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

8 comments:

The Introvert said...

Wow! Wow!

Know that I will help you however I can (talking, curriculum, etc.). We are finishing our 5th year of homeschooling next month and I can say it is truly one of the best decisions that we have made. And, I have managed to find the time to continue my speaking/teaching while still homeschooling 4 children. We can talk more about the "hows" when we camp in July (yeah!!)

Also, CHEA (Christian Home Educators Association) is offering one free day admission (Fri or Sat, July 10 or 11th, 2009)) to their annual convention to parents of preschoolers age 5 and under. The convention is at the Long Beach Convention Center and is worth attending just to get an idea of what curriculum is available to you and what people are doing. You have to make reservations for it. You can do so by calling them at 562-864-2432 and telling them you are the parent of a preschooler and would like to take advantage of the free day at the convention.

Colleen and I will be there both days if you want someone to hang with or to show you the ropes.

Know that I am praying for you and for your family as you navigate these new waters.

With much love,
Cyndi

Kerry said...

Hi, Jessica! Come on in, the water is fine! :)

On the subject of book recommendations...I've not read the Family Matters book, but have read Well-Trained Mind.

One question - are you interested in the classical model for schooling?

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

We take it one year at a time here. One of the things I've found is that pre-school and kindergarten education happens just by living in a family. I was worried, when we started, about how I'd teach the children the calendar and telling time, etc. They got it just from our normal discussion and activities.

I could give you a list of books as well, but what I will tell you is to look at Well Trained Mind as a compendium. Don't feel like you need to do it all. Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum by Laura Berquist gives a much more reasonable time table for schooling, in my opinion.

Hope T. said...

Raymond and Dorothy Moore's "Better Late Than Early" is a must-read. Any of their other books are also good.

Amber said...

How exciting! :-) You should have a very fun year ahead of you, especially if you don't get too stressed out and serious about it all. Not that I'm saying you would do that, but that seems to be the best way to burnout and not enjoy the experience!

Since your daughter is so young, I really would suggest just focusing on making sure she is reading well (I really like The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading - it goes much further than 100 Easy Lessons which takes a similar approach) and that she's starting to understand basic math concepts (we used Math-U-See's Primer at age 4 for pre-K and Alpha at 5 for K and enjoyed them both). I'd also throw in a little memory work (poetry, some catechism type stuff, maybe some formal prayers), a little copywork, and then just do lots of reading, free art time, playing at the park, field trips, etc. The whole smorgasbord of other subjects is really not worth the time at that age and is much better experienced through plain ol' experiences (little field trips, listening to music, exploring the natural environment, etc) I would strongly suggest not getting too caught up in the whole curricula thing at this point - there is so, so, so much out there, and so little of it is necessary (or even all that useful) for someone your daughter's age.

I've read the Well-Trained Mind and I liked it a lot at one point... but from where I stand now I think it is too much busywork. Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum is better and more realistic, although it shares some of the typical busy-ness of the neoclassical curriculum. My absolute favorite book is Andrew Campbell's Latin Centered Education (http://www.latincentered.com/). I wish I lived closer and I would lend it to you. :-) Another book that has given me much food for thought (although not specially about homeschooling, rather it discusses education in general) is Climbing Parnassus. The woman who introduced me to both of these books called Climbing Parnassus the theory book and Latin Centered Education the implementation book. They are both fantastic resources and the view of education taken in these books - while definitely different from what you find in the modern school environment - describe a wonderful and thorough educational experience.

I'm not sure how well classical education (and that's classical, not neo-classical as in WTM) fits in with your educational goals, but it has been a blessing for us. If you have any interest in it at all, Campbell has some good articles on his website about it. Here's one on what he considers the ordering principles of classical education - http://www.latincentered.com/node/271 and here's a great one about decluttering education that you might find interesting - http://www.latincentered.com/node/17

Anyways, there is certainly lots to think about and if I can help you in any way (and I've done a lot of reading about homeschooling - I started researching this when my daughter was a baby!) please let me know.

Amber said...

BTW, I wanted to add two things - I really applaud you and your husband for seeing the distraction and craziness of the last year and wanting to make sure your daughter is really firmly rooted in your family before she goes off to school (if she does, that is). My parents were arguing horribly when I was in K, divorced when I was in 1st, and then both remarried when I was in 2nd. It was crazy - multiple moves, a different school each year, my mom started working full time, and of course my family as I knew it was destroyed. I know that had a huge effect on me and led to a lot of bad things for myself and particularly for my sister (who was only 1 when it all started happening). I think it is great that you are able to step back and think about how important that family rootedness is! Have you read Hold On To Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers? If you haven't I highly recommend it.

And as an aside - I think there are plenty of places you can get experience dealing with people who don't think like you other than public school - sports, music, dance, scouting type stuff, community service, dealing with neighbors, etc. My experience - which is obviously different from yours! - in school was that I was very isolated from people different from myself because I was always in the honors classes and didn't mix much with my fellow students. I didn't really have much experience with people who thought differently from myself until I was out of college.

Anyways, just two things that I've been meaning to say. :-) I tend to think about blog comments (and blog posts!) while I'm doing other things and I have a hard time actually getting those thoughts onto the computer. And yes, that means I think about you and your family while I go about my day. *grin*

Jen said...

Hi, Jess.
I recommend Cathy Duffy's "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum." And it'd be most helpful to look at it before you go to CHEA to minimize the overwhelmed feelings you will have and to direct your purchases there.

Besides reviewing various curricula in every subject area, she first helps you identify your philosophy of education and consider what kind of curriculum would best suit your student's learning needs/style.

I know Cathy personally and she is great. She's homeschooled her own kids who are now grown, and she is very well respected within the Christian homeschool community as a reliable guide.

I don't remember how much she covers Kindergarten curriculum in her guide, but I'm sure the general overview of philosophies, learning styles, and various curriculum companies would be of some help.

Jen said...

Oh, forgot the link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/100-Top-Picks-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0805431381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240550250&sr=8-1