Sunday, November 4, 2007

more on the twins

After a bit of research, I've found some more hopeful news about monoamniotic twins.

First: it's very possible to get a misdiagnosis, especially from a routine ultrasound. It's not the likeliest thing, but not uncommon, to have a membrane separating the twins found on a more high-level ultrasound, that wasn't visible on the normal ultrasound. We're praying this is the case with our girls.

Second: with good treatment (i.e., agressive, in-hospital monitoring of the babies during the last month and a half of pregnancy, weeks 28-34), monoamniotic twins can have up to a 90% survival rate, rather than a dismal 40%. The "good treatment" isn't a cure, and still involves a long period of hospitalization for the mother before birth, and probably for the babies after birth, but it's sure better odds.

So, I am encouraged.

And deeply, deeply thankful for all of your prayers for me and my family, especially for these very little ones. Please keep us in your prayers. And I will keep you updated as soon as we know more, both about the twins, and about the status of Adam's melanoma diagnosis. May God show his glory and mercy through us.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

5 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Oh Jessica! Twins! what a blessing! I have a friend who just delivered twin boys 3 weeks ago. She received the same diagnosis as you, but it turned out that the boys were not mono twins. I pray that you will receive the same diagnosis.
Praying his protection over you

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I will be eagerly checking for updates. You are in my prayers!

And CONGRATULATIONS on the twins!!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Oh, what exciting and life-changing news!

When will you have a higher-level ultrasound?

Praying for that thin little barrier to be there!

Jeanne

Mommakitten said...

Hello there, we were mis-diagnosed with Monoamniotic twins as well, and it turned out that they did have a membrane separating them as we found out on a later date. I wish the best for you and if you need anyone to talk to I am here. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kat

Amber said...

That is hopeful news! I hope you can get in for a higher level ultrasound soon. You are definitely in my prayers.