Friday, April 27, 2007

public service announcement

So, this morning at 5 am, I woke my husband up and asked him to get me some milk and Advil. Why? Because I had a killer headache, bad enough that it'd woken me up in the middle of a dream. Why did I have a killer headache?

'Cause I got a tetanus booster yesterday. And boy, let me tell you, I'm sympathizing with my kids and their vaccine schedule. No wonder they're cranky when they get their shots.

Anyway, though tetanus is such a wicked disease that it's almost worse to recover from than it is to die from, the other part of the booster was maybe even more important. What I really got was a tetanus-diptheria-whooping-cough booster. My doctor pointed out that, as a parent of young children, it was extra-important to keep my vaccinations up to date. Apparently, when kids get some of these nasty diseases these days, the people they get them from are their parents. Parents who've let their immunizations lapse. And whooping cough, at least, is still making the rounds.

So, anyway, next time you're in for that yearly physical, make sure to check and see if you need a booster shot. It may not be fun, but it's better than seeing your kid die in agony.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: