Monday, April 23, 2007

in-between prayers

I like Holly Pierlot's prayer of "Jesus, I do this for the love of thee," to be said when switching from one activity to another. But that's not the only small, in-between tasks prayer I find myself praying regularly.

The official order of prayers in the prayer book seems to be creeping into my everyday life. The idea of morning and evening prayer is leading me into the idea of other prayers: before-laundry prayers and before-email prayers. Here are a few of the regular prayers I find myself using everyday:

-When I get in the car: "Father, please keep us safe from accidents, tickets, other drivers, and anyone and anything that would harm us. Please keep our house safe till we get back. And may we honor You in what we go to do."

-When I start the laundry: "Father, please help the washing machine to work well and to spin dry." (It's old and cantankerous.) "Please may the dryer work well and not explode. And thank you for these machines, that do so much work for me."

-When I go on the computer: "Father, please help me to do your will online."

-When I put the kids down for their naps: "May the Lord bless you and keep you and give you peace. Breathe, and keep breathing, in Jesus' name." (Okay, that's more of a blessing and a command.)

-When Adam and I part ways: "Father, please keep us safe till we see each other again."


St. Paul said that we're to pray constantly, and in trying to follow this command, I found myself eventually repeating formulas. Over the years, my spontaneous prayers became regular formulas, just because they were things I prayed about everyday. But that's not bad, I think. There are good habits as well as bad ones, and I think this one's good. I tend to worry, and I've found that praying is the only way to handle my anxiety. It's a way of saying, "I'm worried about this, but I can't take care of it. However, I know you can, Father. So please do."

Sometimes I wonder if my prayers are too petitionary. "Please" and "safe" show up in them a lot. But, when I think about it, I realize that the Lord doesn't want me asking anyone else for the kind of help that only He can give. If my daughter always asked strangers for drinks of water, or my son tried to change his own diaper, I'd be upset. God is my Father, and even if His goal is that eventually I grow out of needing to ask him for a glass of water (I want my daughter to eventually learn to get her own), while I'm young enough to need to ask for help with everything, I'm sure that He wants to be the one I ask it from.


So, anyone else out there have little, daily prayers?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

2 comments:

At A Hen's Pace said...

The most common one I breathe is "Lord, have mercy"--when I'm on my way to deal with yet another "situation." Also, in the shower I always pray "Cleanse me," etc.

I like yours, especially for travel. I'm not in the habit--we're usually always rushing--but it would be good to try!

Jeanne

slowlane said...

I recently have been building some sentence prayers into my life. Among them are "Lord, give me the strength to get out of bed" ;) "Lord, give me clarity of thought" as I answer the phone, and "Father in Heaven, I want to know you" whenever I start getting flustered and scattered.