Saturday, February 24, 2007

February 23: Polycarp, Bishop and Martyr of Smyrna, 156

Yes, that was yesterday, and I missed it. If you did too, go here to learn more about this great saint, one of the early, and most inspiring, Christian martyrs (and, if I'm recalling correctly, a disciple of St. John).

My favorite verse in the above-linked account is this one:

But when the magistrate pressed him hard and said, 'Swear the oath, and I will release thee; revile the Christ,' Polycarp said, 'Fourscore and six years have I been His servant, and He hath done me no wrong. How then can I blaspheme my King who saved me?'


And today, the 24th, is the feast day of St. Matthias, the last of the twelve, elected to replace Judas Iscariot. So, whether looking at the example of Polycarp or of Matthias, it's a good day to think about doing whatever it is the Lord has called you to, right where you're at, whether it's stating your love for your Lord honestly and calmly or taking up a burden someone else has put down. Or doing dishes. Or nursing babies. Or teaching emotionally-disabled kids. Or training for the police force. Or studying for your classes. Or fixing computers. All for the glory of God, and all in obedience. Praise Him!


peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

No comments: