Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Book Notes: The Big Picture Interactive Bible Storybook





"The Big Picture Interactive Bible Storybook" (phew! what a title!) is the book we've been using for evening devotions with our kids for the past several months.

And I can't comment on the "interactive" part of the title, because we haven't used it. (Apparently you can blink at it with your smartphone and see moving versions of the illustrations? I don't know, I don't have a smartphone.)

But the content - the content is so, so good. Why? Because it very much echoes the Biblical text. If you're someone who's familiar with the text of the Bible itself, you'll hear the real words echoed here in this storybook. They seem to keep the original phrasing as often as possible - it's just edited a bit for length and clarity.

I really like that.

The other thing I really like is that at the end of each story, they take a paragraph or two to explain what each story teaches us about Christ. Really, it's just basic theology - Christ-centered theology. It's great stuff. Much like my experience in reading the "Jesus Storybook Bible", I think I ended up receiving as many insights from the clear retelling of these stories of our faith as my children did.


One caveat: I am reviewing this before I've finished the whole thing. But the reason I'm reviewing now is that we just finished reading through the whole New Testament section, one story a night, so we have completed a good chunk of it. I trust the Old Testament section (which we're going back to now) will be just as good. I wish I could remember who recommended it to me. But here I am, all the same, recommending it to you.


Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell



No comments: