Monday, February 9, 2015

My To-Be-Read List, and how I organize it



Every time the old year turns over to the new, I do a few things:

1) I update my "yarn stats".  I have a document where I keep track of what I knit each year: how many skeins, how many yards, etc.  Maybe this is a blog post of its own, waiting to happen.  :)

2) I update my "books read" document.  I've been keeping track of how many books I read each year for about five years now. I keep track of author and title, too.

And it got me thinking about my to-be read list, and how I use it.


I used to keep track of my books-to-be read on a Word document, but lately I've also been using the "to-be read" function on Goodreads.

(I still use Word docs to keep track of the books I've actually read; though I keep track of most of the books I read on Goodreads, for various reasons, I don't put all of them on there.)

I know some folks put every vaguely interesting book they run across on their TBR list, but I do things a little bit differently: I only add books I think I'm actually going to read.

I don't put on books that I want my kids to read.  Or books that I should read.

Just books I think I'm actually going to read.


This means my TBR list isn't very long.

Y'know, just fifty books long or so.


And it doesn't include the Bible, which I am constantly rereading.  And it doesn't include the books I know I'm going to reread sooner or later because they're sitting on my physical bookshelves and I love them.  Those just get read when I read them.  Whenever.

No, my TBR list is for new books, mostly.

New-to-me, anyway,  If you look at my TBR list on Goodreads, you'll see that it's organized in a particular order:
1) New non-fiction.
2) Old non-fiction.
3) New fiction.
4) Old fiction.  (Here live Heyer and Orczy.)


So what about you?  How do you keep track of the books you want to read?


Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: